Sleeping in Cars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 September 2013 6.20pm
Has any one had need to contact the council about people sleeping in cars in their street?

I live in Alma Grove and for the past couple of nights there has been a person sleeping in a blue Citroen near my house. I called Southwark Council today but they said as long as the person owns the car then they are not doing anything wrong or illegal by living/sleeping their vehicle and the council cannot do anything to move them on.

Sorry if this thread seems unsociable because I appreciate there could be many reasons why someone has to resort to sleeping in their car.
Friday 20 September 2013 6.34pm
My first instinct would have been to offer them a cup of tea and maybe understand what their situation is. There are many desperate people on the streets these days and with the summer over it'll be even tougher soon.
Friday 20 September 2013 10.08pm
We live in hard times, and many people have experienced a complete downturn in their situation.

I feel sorry for this person.
Saturday 21 September 2013 8.08pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
My first instinct would have been to offer them a cup of tea and maybe understand what their situation is. There are many desperate people on the streets these days and with the summer over it'll be even tougher soon.

I couldn't agree more. With things as they are, any one of us could find ourselves homeless at any time. I see this frequently in the job I do, but bound by confidentiality rules, I am usually unable to help.

Capitalkid - Perhaps instead of using the unsympathetic weight of the council, you could call the St Mungo's Outreach Team - 0870 383 3333. They will hopefully visit the person sleeping in the car, and offer him advice and help (no association - I just appreciate the job they do)
Saturday 21 September 2013 10.31pm
I am very heartened but not surprised how you have responded to this lovely SE1 ers. I am with you on advice offered.
Sunday 29 September 2013 6.41pm
I went to see the man this morning and I took him a cup of coffee. He was very grateful. I felt so sorry for him. He said he was Spanish (I don't think he was as I spoke some Spanish to him and he took a while to respond) and had been working in East Anglia and was in London looking for work. He said he'd been shouted at by a group of kids last night accusing him of being a drug dealer. He was a smiley, humble man in his 40's and I felt really sad for his situation. He drove off after we'd spoken, probably thought I was going to call the police.
Sunday 6 October 2013 10.04pm
It's so sad. That could be any of us these days.
Scary.
thank you for taking him a cup of coffee.
Monday 7 October 2013 8.01am
Davies wrote:
It's so sad. That could be any of us these days.
Scary.
thank you for taking him a cup of coffee.
Not me. I don't have a car ;) But yes, you lose your job, you get behind on a few payments and all of a sudden everything you took for granted is at risk... Been there, don't wish it upon anyone to be honest.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: