Looking for home movies from South East London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 24 September 2013 11.29am
Hello all,

I wanted to make you aware of the event below:

Home Movie Day London 2013
Saturday 19 October, 11am - 5pm
The Cinema Museum, 2 Dugard Way, Kennington SE11 4TH
www.homemovieday.com/london
www.cinemamuseum.org.uk

Home Movie Day is a free annual event at which members of the public bring their films on 8mm, super 8, 9.5mm and 16mm for free examination by volunteer film archivists. We check the films and give advice on how to store them in the home and where to get good digital transfers. Then, we project the films (as long as they are in good condition), which is brilliant as often people inherit films but no equipment to watch them on, so they haven't seen them before.

You don't need to bring films to attend and have fun - we have prizes to be won, tea and homemade cake for sale and a special screening at 1-1.30pm of The Home Movies of Benjamin Britten, as part of the Benjamin Britten centenary celebrations, courtesy of the Britten-Pears Foundation and the BFI National Archive.

The reason that I ask forum readers to note the event is because there is a particular lack of home movies of SE London that are known about by film archives, which I am aware of from working on different projects (I am a film archivist). I would really love it if someone showed up with home movies from the area. I hope you see this and have a rummage in your cupboards and attics (side note: the loft is a bad place to store films because it is a part of the house where temperatures fluctuate a lot so please take them out and put them in a cupboard instead if you do find any there!) and bring your films along in October.

Hope to see you there!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: