Tesco Empire Square re-opens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 25 September 2013 6.23pm
Very little change apparent other than superficial stuff. Aisles as cramped as ever, not enough tills so a long queue to the back of the store and around the corner. There are more "Finest" ranges and Badoit in 1l bottles...and unexpected item in bagging area messages going off all over the place
Wednesday 25 September 2013 6.35pm
Oh they have enough tills, they just refuse post blank to assign enough staff to man them. For a long time now it's been the store's policy to force people to use the self service tills, yet they mysteriously manage to find enough staff to serve customers once the queue has gone round the corner. It's deliberate, it's cynical and I hate it. Won't use them again.
Wednesday 25 September 2013 8.25pm
It's the same in the new kent road one near harper road, I have shopped about ten times now in this store and I can honestly say there has not been one occasion when an assistant has stood behind a till waiting to serve. I will not use the self service check-out on principle because it is another step to more people not being able to find work, in other stores I have rarely tried to use them and on each occasion have resorted to using the help from an assistant standing nearby.if they can arrange for assistants to stand nearby why dont they put them on the tills. Thinking back to the one near harper road even the security guard has come over to help when no one is on the tills!
Wednesday 25 September 2013 9.17pm
sorry to hear about the minimal improvements to the store. While it is very convenient - between tube & home - I find I avoid going there because it IS so cramped, rarely stocks what I am looking for, and (most of all) when there is a queue, the people urging you to step up to the till or the self-service are incredibly shrill, snappy and hyper-agitated. Maybe it's because my nerves are already frayed at the end of the day, and that makes me ultra sensitive - anyone else have the same reaction?
CGB
Wednesday 25 September 2013 10.00pm
I stopped patronising this Tesco as soon as I had kids. Bad enough on your own with a basket, unthinkable with a pushchair.
Thursday 26 September 2013 6.53am
Agree with everything said on here, especially the observation as to why staff are standing around herding people towards self-service points when they could be behind tills doing the serving themselves.

And I got totally fed up with them asking me to go to self-service on every single visit to the shop. Probably not surprising if they sounded unpleasant, unfortunately it's not their fault and there's no point having a go at them. They're just doing what they've been told to do.

The store was certainly totally squashed. Woe betide you if you meet a member of staff with a stacking trolley coming the other way!
Thursday 26 September 2013 9.36am
I never use them as I found the experience frustrating and depressing in equal measures.

What really annoys me is that Tesco lorries park outside, occasionally block traffic and often disrupt the flow of pedestrians outside the shop. If ever there was an example of poor planning/licensing, this is one. Abject combination of Tesco, Empire Square developers and Southwark Council. Not something I have experienced with Sainsbury's on Bermondsey Square, which puzzles me.
Thursday 26 September 2013 10.27am
Of course the Empire Square scheme was built with a supermarket loading bay on Tabard Street, but the proposed medium-size supermarket space was subdivided and most of it became Soho Gyms.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Thursday 26 September 2013 11.27am
Its now Tesco policy to have self serve only tills after 9pm at the big Tesco on old kent road, so you cant do a big shop there in the evening unless you are prepared for a long wait for one of the few manned tills (the last time i used them there were 2 manned tills open)
Thursday 26 September 2013 12.17pm
Jan the old one wrote:
....I will not use the self service check-out on principle because it is another step to more people not being able to find work...

I will not comment on the fact you think the service is poor, but that you object in principle to changes in operations because they reduce the number of staff employed. This is something I find, while all too common an opinion, quite bizarre.

To maintain your principles you will of course always turn your car lights off and never sound your horn just to ensure that a man with a red flag can continue in his employment as he runs in front of you.

This is not to object to the idea that changes to the number or use of staff has worsened your experience, it's the idea that employing fewer people is in of itself undesirable regardless of the quality of the service provided.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: