Sustainable transport, and Green Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 27 September 2013 2.58pm
Hello again, it is time to be asking you about the topic which Southwark's councillors will be discussing at the next council Assembly to be held on the 10th October.

They will be talking about Green southwark, meaning, sustainable transport, and the environment.

Do you think that Southwark is more biologically diverse than it was 10 years ago?

Helen Laker
Community Engagement Division
Housing and Community Services
Southwark Council
Friday 27 September 2013 3.11pm
Just to check - isn't the meeting on 16 October?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 28 September 2013 5.54pm
Monday 30 September 2013 11.06am
You're right James, it is on the 16th.
Monday 30 September 2013 11.08am
You're right James, it is on the 16th.

With all the development around, nearer the river and at the Elephant and Castle, for instance, I wonder if anyone can say that the variety of wildlife has improved or diminished - or do you think it's remained the same?
Monday 7 October 2013 5.18pm
by 16th october, there won't be much 'green' left in southwark to talk about?
Tuesday 8 October 2013 4.08pm
There's precious little green space in the North of the Borough. What there is is under threat and doesn't seem to get protection from the council (eg

I've been exploring the Southern end of the borough a bit in the last year or so and have been amazed at the variety and sizes of green spaces there (eg Peckham Rye, Camberwell New and Old Cemeteries, Dulwich Park and Woods, the Horniman Gardens). The Green Chain walks from Nunhead Cemetary to Crystal Palace (just out of borough) are extraordinary.

The only large green space in the North of the borough is Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park, which has nice pockets but is largely prairie like and dominated by the IWM.

Checking the map of open spaces from the council web site ( I realise that it's not just anecdotal. There really is a disproportionate amount of green space at that end of the borough.

Is there any policy to improve the amount and quality of open spaces in the North of the borough?
Tuesday 8 October 2013 6.19pm
Oh, there's a wonderful green space (currently!) in the north of the borough. It's right next door to Southwark Station and is the grounds of Styles House - awarded 'outstanding' by the RHS London in Bloom award for the second year running. We have lots of wild liFe; our very own toad, a shrew or two, dragon flies over the pond; I saw a Jay last Friday and the garden if full of a variety of smaller birds; robin, wren, sparrow, blue tits and finches. I'm not boasting, you understand, I'm just pointing this out in case the council thinks that because it hasn't a building on it, it is available for 'regeneration'. WE LOVE OUR GREEN SPACE! THE WILDLIFE LOVES OUR GREEN SPACE.
Tuesday 8 October 2013 6.57pm
Helen, with the greatest of respect, I can't believe taxpayers' money is spent convening meetings to discuss such silly topics as these.

I'd be intrigued to know how many councillors and other council execs travel - at taxpayers' expense - in taxis and suchlike to these soirées, as well as all the ancillary costs: catering, security, etc. The cost, I am sure, is not insignificant.
Tuesday 8 October 2013 11.09pm
Hi Gavin, I usually walk or cycle, occasionally drive, but don't ride in taxis to or from these meetings.

I often go straight from work to Council Assembly meetings - I get there around 6pm, and usually leave after 11pm - I am supplied with a small packed salad, to sustain me. Like many of my colleagues, I feel a sense of duty to hold the administration to account, council assembly is one of the few opportunities to ask direct questions in public.
It is not a soiree in the sense of an 'evening cocktail party'.
If you have any questions you would like me to ask of the administration, please contact me, and we can discuss.
Thanks Cllr Graham Neale
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: