Blackout in Southwark Feb 1940

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 29 September 2013 8.38pm
Hi, I grew up in Southwark and most of my relatives on my dad's side lived in the area. My nan, ie my dad's mum, lived in Camberwell with my grand-dad up to February 1940.My grand-dad worked, I believe, in Bermondsey as a shoe mender. Unfortunately he was coming home from work on 2nd February 1940 and had an accident on his bike. He later died in hospital. Does anyone know where I might be able to find anything about this. I have no living relatives to ask and had no luck on any of the ancestry sites. Thank you, Tricia
Monday 30 September 2013 10.29am
Try the SOUTH LONDON PRESS they may have a report in their archived back numbers.
Good luck with your search.
Monday 30 September 2013 12.48pm
thanks for your reply. I will try on their website. Tricia Hook
Monday 30 September 2013 1.17pm
My friend was researching something from about the same era and he employed a lady (pensioner I think) to search for anything to do with it,i'm not sure if the lady worked at the British library but that's where she did her researching for him,she wound up finding something for him in an old evening news or standard,it cost him 20 about 8 years ago.
Not sure whether such an incident wouldhave made the paper but seeing as you know the date it might not be that hard to find out.
Monday 30 September 2013 6.50pm
Thanks Boroughonian. I am going to contact South London Press first as I think it would have been reported by them rather than the national papers.

Tricia Hook
Monday 30 September 2013 7.34pm
Tricia

Try Southwark Local History Library at the rear of John Harvard Library, 211 Borough High Street, SE1 1JA

local.history.library@southwark.gov.uk

They have an extensive local collection including press cuttings and are well worth a try.
Monday 30 September 2013 8.10pm
A thread like this is an example of why I love SE1 Forum so much.
Bless you all.
Monday 30 September 2013 9.10pm
Thanks londonbridge 69. I did find their site yesterday and will contact them tomorrow. They sound promising.

regards Tricia
Monday 30 September 2013 9.22pm
thanks for your reply maurits. I am really grateful for all the replies I have had and I am sure I will find out about my granddad from all the suggestions given. I am compiling my family tree at present and I am curious about my dad's side of the family. Most of his relatives lived in Southwark but I never knew them. I will keep you posted

Regards Tricia

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: