Sudden increase in nighttime noise on Southwark Bridge Road area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 9 October 2013 1.16pm
Since the start of September, there seems to have been a sudden increase in noise along Southwark Bridge Road late at night, upto about 3/4am.

At first thought it might be students with Freshers week, coming from the Unite properties, but its been non stop. Last night it was going on until about 4am, and as our building has a cashpoint on the ground floor, there were often large groups of drunken revellers shouting and singing, and from about 3am, a very very drunk man just sitting on the pavement sobbing loudly.

Would noise control at the Council be able to do anything? I'm guessing not since it's moving groups of people. There must be quite a few people being affected though.

Or does anyone know why this is suddenly a problem? Have lived there for almost 5 years and normally very rarely an issue with Ministry of Sound revellers going up and down SBR.
Wednesday 9 October 2013 1.47pm
We too have endured loud noise, however our observations have confirmed that it is drunken students. There is an ever increase in the student population around the Borough and this unfortunately is resulting in more noise. I have nothing against students,however no point in denying it, they are responsible for the high level of drunkness and noise late at night.
Poj
Monday 14 October 2013 3.23pm
We have the same In Pocock Street. It's the 'poor' students, out until 3 - 4 - 5am.. It wasn't too bad when it was just Manna Ash House, but now Moonraker has opened it's become a nightmare. No good using ear plugs, won't hear the alarm in the morning. I'd like to know how they can afford it....EVERY night
Poj
Monday 14 October 2013 3.51pm
I am afraid that we have exactly the same problem. We live just off Trinity Church Square and the noise that the students create is continuous in the early hours.

We have raised this with the police as last week a very drunken student was kicking our front door in and trying to get in for over 3 hours (from 1.30am). At the time we did not know it was a student as he was too aggressive for us to open the door. The police had to take him in as he was so drunk that (a) he did not know where he lived and (b) did not want to leave. The police mentioned that in the last few weeks they had a serious increase in disruptive student behaviour and that they have had to dedicate a lot of resources to manage it. Makes me wonder if halls/universities should not take a firmer stand in working with the community to ensure that students are part of it and not an unpleasant nuisance.
Monday 14 October 2013 4.11pm
I don't think the late night noise in SBR has only to do with a general increase in the student population.

During the summer, there seems to have been parties going on in or around the car park under the railway bridge in SBR.

At weekends during the last month, there have been lots of young students queuing up from 11pm, and leaving (completely drunk) at 4am.

Haven't managed to understand what exactly is going on yet, but next time I see it happening I will go have a look.
Tuesday 15 October 2013 9.31am
You all have my utmost sympathies - this is something we've been having to deal with for many years in Henshaw Street (just south of New Kent Road), where many of the houses are multi-lets - mainly (but not exclusively) to students.

I echo the implication above - it is understandable that students wish to enjoy themselves and should not be demonised (and that many are quite reasonably behaved). But students en masse cause disturbance, that's all there is to it. It seems unfair that the result should constantly fall on the same long-term inhabitants of a particular area.

Our experience has shown there are things which can be done, although it's not easy. First of all generally Jaggerjat is right that the noise people (Southwark Environmental Services) can't do anything - they will only deal with constant noise above a certain decibel level (eg loud music) - they also tend to take a long time to come out so may miss the immediate problem. Nonetheless, it may be worth logging a call if disturbance is particularly bad so there's a record which can be cited later. It is definitely worth contacting Southwark's Anti-social behaviour team - my experience is you may have to do a bit of chasing to get a response but the more people who contact them and the more calls that are logged the more likely you are to get somewhere.

Our street has been very much improved through the services of the Southwark Mediation Centre (http://www.southwarkmediation.co.uk/) - their approach is to talk to all parties, including students and explain the problems. There are a Not for Profit so it may need some creative thinking to see how you can use them, perhaps via a Residents' Association or other such local group.

If anyone's interested in discussing in greater depth then feel free to get in touch. A final point - I really feel the universities should be doing more to deal with this - students are after all here under their auspices. I tried to get in touch with the main players (Kings / UCL / LSE, South Bank etc)about five years ago to engage but didn't really get anywhere. Their point of view seems to be effectively that students are adults and therefore responsible for their own behaviour. Has anyone else tried this and what results?
Tuesday 15 October 2013 10.14am
yeah same here from the new student flats on Pocock st/Sawyer St SBR - how can they afford to party every night?
Tuesday 15 October 2013 10.30am
I have to say,same here in St Georges circus area,they are without a doubt,the most raucous i've known since these halls popped up all over the place,all night/morning long.

I can only assume that there is a student/discounted bar in one of the new halls?
Tuesday 15 October 2013 11.12am
I would imagine it will calm down a bit soon when their grants/loans, which they will have just received, start to look a bit depleted.

Meanwhile, my sympathies go to all those blighted currently.
Tuesday 15 October 2013 11.15pm
Same issues here on Newington Causeway with a noticeable and persistent increase in human traffic and noise until the wee-small hours on a nightly basis. I, too, dismissed it as Freshers, but they're really beginning to become a bit of an issue - from a selfish point of view in that they're so loud, and from a safety point of view in that a few have been insanely reckless on E&C roundabout - running out in front of cars to cross the road, messing around at bus stops etc.

I'm used to drunken revellers at the weekend going to/from Ministry, but they're a generally well behaved bunch who move on quickly. The students over the past couple of weeks have been tending to linger and have little respect for their new neighbours, and it's every single night.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: