Grange Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 16 October 2013 6.51pm
Before the developers get their hands on it, I really want to buy the Grange Pub and turn it into a cosy, community oriented pub serving good food where you can go in and relax in your own, your family or have a good night out with mates.

But, I'm short about a million quid - 800k to buy and I reckon another 200k to renovate. Anybody fancy turning it into a co-op pub with me? Does anybody know where to even start?
Wednesday 16 October 2013 7.03pm
I think the United St Saviours Charity (on a different thread about this pub) may be the place to start. They buy up local SE1 pubs for exactly that purpose I believe. Good luck...
Wednesday 16 October 2013 7.06pm
I can contribute some home-brew!
Wednesday 16 October 2013 7.06pm
Thanks shaggy, I know they also own Simon the Tanner. Will try them for some advice.
Wednesday 16 October 2013 8.15pm
Yes a million quid is probably a lot , but if you have a solid business plan I m sure that bankers, venture capitalists would back you up.
Thursday 17 October 2013 9.56am
I am sure that I have read in Southwark News of at least one pub, probably two, being bought by the community to be run by the community as a real pub.
Perhaps the editors may be able to put you in touch with them.
Good luck.
Thursday 17 October 2013 10.50am
You could start by contacting the people who run The Ivy House in Nunhead: here's the link

It's a huge place with a variety of rooms and a 'garden' (some areas are still a work in progress!) but has options for a variety of events and at the time of my visit, had a number of very good London 'craft' beers on tap. I would say their claim to be on the way to being 'one of London's finest real ale and craft beer pubs' is a little premature, but it's the first example of a cooperatively owned pub, bought for the community under the provisions of the Localism Act.

p.s, the chips were good, too.
Thursday 17 October 2013 12.36pm
The Plunkett Foundation provide loads of advice on doing this /

There is a government scheme which matches funding with a grant, but it only seems to apply to rural pubs. However Cooperative and Community Finance do lend for this sort of purpose.
Thursday 17 October 2013 12.51pm
@RedLondoner @Beowulf I'd be interested in getting involved. I've been homebrewing for a few years now with my eye on eventually setting up a micro-brewery somewhere in the SE1 area. Would love to have a chat about it
Thursday 17 October 2013 1.11pm
I would love to be involved, BUT, I'm not sure how much, if any, cold hard cash I could put in or even how much time I could devote to it. Keeping my own business going and the 3 kids fed and clothed seems to take every ounce of blood, sweat and tears I have.

That said, I could definately sort out the coffee equipment and the hot drinks side. Obviously not the most important, but still a requirement for any pub serving food.

The Grange has such fantastic potential it would be such a shame to see it converted in to yet more "luxury apartments"
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: