Fuel prices

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 October 2013 10.43am
Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of changing fuel suppliers? Am currently with British gas (9.2% hike announced today) and thinking of switching to First Utility. Thanks!
Thursday 17 October 2013 12.52pm
Hi Edward

I regrettably changed my dual fuel supplier from british gas to n power last October BUT they suddently notified me in July of this year that they were putting the prices up, regrettably ( isnt't it always!! Words are so cheap and this must be the cheapest). Not only this, but because I changed supplier they felt the need to do an inspection of the meters ( which apparently they could have done at any time within a 2 year period!) and when unable to gain access ( due to the corporation of London not having working entryphones in the block) and even though I had already made another confirmed appointment for a visit, dragged me into court to explain myself. Having arrived in court, they then withdrew the case.. preventing me from addressing the magistrates and telling them what a bunch of inept excuses for humanity they really were. SO .. Npower.. no, I DO NOT recommend.. AND I would advise getting some sort of FIXED DEAL as the fuel prices are sure to go up. Even if Labour get in and they freeze the price increases I'm quite sure the weasely fuel companies will hike the prices prior to the event.
Thursday 17 October 2013 1.26pm
Hi londonbridge69

I am trying to move away from the Big Ones, hence my interest on First Utility. British Gas offer fixed deals, but the savings are minimal and there are exit fees per fuel type (gas an electricity) even if you are an existing customer. Basically, they just want to tie you down without giving you any real benefit. It's becoming a matter of principle more than it being about any real savings now. Fed up with being ripped off.
Thursday 17 October 2013 2.02pm
I am absolutely with you on the last point. I am well and truly fed up with being ripped off by so many of these companies claiming to offer a service to the public. Inevitably one is lead into the arena of 'intervene or don't intervene' ( Labour/conservative). If there had been proper regulation of the market with a far greater emphasis on the needs of the consumer maybe we wouldn't be in such an almighty mess.
I am also going to go back and compare prices.. but see little in the way of savings ( and highly likely that the heating won't be going on this winter anyway!)
Thursday 17 October 2013 2.43pm
Try using the moneysavingexpert.com estimate and switching programme 'Cheap Energy Club'. You need to register to log in, but it's free, easy to use (I like that because I'm lazy by nature) and has prompted me to investigate potential 'savings' and then switch supplier earlier this week.
Thursday 17 October 2013 2.55pm
...and by the way, to provide an amusing little diversion from the immense anger a lot of consumers are feeling at the moment, have a read of these responses to the British Gas twitter Q&A earlier today:

here
Thursday 17 October 2013 4.02pm
I recently moved to daligas, as it seems to be quite affordable and doesn't tie you into a long contract. You should check it out!
Thursday 17 October 2013 4.09pm
sannapr

Thanks for that.. Do you get dual fuel or just gas with daligas?
Thursday 17 October 2013 4.42pm
Moneysaving expert (based on my inputs) gave my annual bills at circa 2K - this is not true
I used uSwitch and they gave me right annual spend based on kWh inputed.
Just switched to First Utility - they predict saving on current spend plus fix until 2015. worth a shot!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: