Call to Action: The NHS is Changing - Have your say

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 18 October 2013 9.18am

Do you have something to say about how local NHS services can meet the future health needs of people in Southwark? Please share them as part of our online discussion that is currently happening, link below.

We know that the population of our borough is growing. We also know that people are living longer than they have in the past. Meanwhile medical technology continues to advance as new or improved treatments and medicines are made available to patients. This means that there is more demand than ever on NHS services, and this demand is continuing to increase. At the same time we know that the funds available to spend on health services will not be able to keep pace with this rise in demand.

You can find more information on our website

Friday 18 October 2013 11.37am
Here is my idea: extend opening hours of the urgent care centre at Guy's Hospital so patients can be seen after 8pm. At the moment patients who arrive after 7pm are turned away: this is when many patients (including commuters going via London Bridge) would like such a service. This is also when St Thomas' A&E gets increasingly busy so it would lighten the load on A&E.

Also, I understand the centre is very quiet in the mornings, so it may be that the cost-saving solution is to open 2 hours later and close 2 hours later (but I have a feeling there will be serious resistance from NHS staff who prefer a quiet morning to a busy evening!)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: