Where to hold a party?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 2 May 2002 1.02pm
Hi there,

Nice forum by the way...

Anyone out there got any ideas for a venue to hold a party? I have about 60 people in need of drinking dancing and snacks but on a shoestring budget!

Last year we had a party at the Laughing Gravy, which was great. Got the place to ourselves and buffet food, and the staff were really helpful. Lovely place in general...but too pricey for us this year.

Also have had a couple of parties at MBibe on Blackfriars Rd -which was very good on our limited budget but not so friendly -for example at 5 to 12 we were happily served drinks but at the stroke of midnight a huge bouncer type appeared out of nowhere and booted us out into the winters night without even a chance to put our coats on -how rude!

So any other suggestions? Somewhere with a summery vibe ideally, cheap and friendly! Is it to much to ask?

cheers

Hayley
Des
Friday 3 May 2002 10.27am
Mbibe is quite possibly the worst place in SE1....

And Laughing Gravy is the best.

As to where to have a party, have you asked at the Union Jack, Kings Arms or even ask the Ring boys, it looks like it will be finished in about a week and they might like to have a guaranteed crowd for when they first open.
Friday 3 May 2002 11.02am
Cheers for the pointers Des

I'm inclined to agree with your opinions on MBibe and Laughing Gravy. At least MBibe let us bring our own sarnies (yes budget was that tight!) -but I definitely recommend LG for a party or anything (yummy food!)

I had forgotten about the Ring....
Jolayne
Friday 3 May 2002 12.21pm
friends of mine hired out The Crown on blackfriars rd one saturday night last year. (i think most of their regulars come in during the week). they had about 70-90 people and it seemed to be a great night. also they had a garden bit out the back, for an outdoor/summery feel. not sure of cost, but may be worth a try....?
Friday 3 May 2002 2.56pm
at davids house
Friday 3 May 2002 3.52pm
Don't go round there - it smells of wet dogs & his mum has a flatulence problem which may embarrass your guests.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: