Buses going too fast

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 25 October 2013 9.22pm
Sad to hear of an accident today on London Road involving a bus on the contraflow lane. This follows a fatal accident last year near St George's Circus on the same contraflow system. I am a local resident and fully aware that this contraflow lane exists yet several times I have forgotten to look in both directions when crossing London Road. My fault of course but I do think this system is inherently dangerous. Plus the other problem is that the buses come hurtling along at 40-50mph.

What I would really like to see is all London buses speed limited to 20mph. Does anyone else agree? Can we get a campaign going and lobby Boris to this effect? Any views?

Thanks
Friday 25 October 2013 10.04pm
Dan M wrote:
Plus the other problem is that the buses come hurtling along at 40-50mph.

Just out of interest - how do you know what speed they are doing?
Friday 25 October 2013 10.25pm
Of course I don't know exactly but I do believe it many of them go faster than is sensible and I cannot see the harm in fitting speed limiters to their buses.
Friday 25 October 2013 10.32pm
So, do you know how many commuters would be happy travelling to work on a bus limited to 20 mph?

For example, Tooley St down to SE16 is a fairly clear straight road.

A trundling 20mph 10 ton bus would be a hazard to other road users as they fought to overtake the tortoise.
Zoe
Friday 25 October 2013 10.41pm
Yet it's not unreasonable to limit central London traffic to 20mph and lots of cities are introducing such speed limits. Buses would be a rolling road block that would enforce this. I wouldn't want buses to only go at 20mph though, there's no need on some roads.

Oooo Tooley Street, the home of pedestrians who walk while reading books. Buses should go at 10mph on that road.
Friday 25 October 2013 10.43pm
Dan M wrote:
What I would really like to see is all London buses speed limited to 20mph.
Does anyone else agree? Can we get a campaign going and lobby Boris to this effect? Any views?

Thanks

I only use buses maybe once per week, possibly once every two weeks, but I hope that you're either kidding, or that no one takes your suggestion seriously.
Enforce the existing speed limits more rigorously if you wish, but 20 mph? Gimme a break.
If it comes to a vote I'd vote no, and I'd vote early and vote often.
Saturday 26 October 2013 12.16am
I think Dan M is right. As a frequent bus user and Central London driver I think 20 is plenty for our local roads.

After all we are only accelerating towards the next red light!

Seriously though, passengers and road users are at risk with buses picking up speed. The amount of people I've seen fall over whilst standing on a moving bus, as well as buggies with babies in toppling over.
Saturday 26 October 2013 1.41am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
So, do you know how many commuters would be happy travelling to work on a bus limited to 20 mph?

For example, Tooley St down to SE16 is a fairly clear straight road.

A trundling 20mph 10 ton bus would be a hazard to other road users as they fought to overtake the tortoise.

Before I read any posts on this thread I thought of that stretch of bus route,I remember on my way to school on a 188 and just as the bus got to Shard thames I thought it must be doing over the limit,very bouncey as well,great fun.
Saturday 26 October 2013 8.26am
All right, 30mph then. Still think this would be a good thing.
Saturday 26 October 2013 11.29am
I drive a bus down that bus lane, and it is'nt worth speeding because the next set of lights are usually red. I was taught by my mum and dad how to cross the road, if you see something coming don't cross, most pedestrians see a large red bus coming and still walk out infront of it.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: