"Superfast" broadband - Fibre providers and availability

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 27 October 2013 11.38pm
Hello,

I am currently using O2, taken over by Sky :(, as my broadband provider in Shad Thames. I can get around 3 Mbps on a good day. Therefore I am trying to find a provider who can give me a better speed.

I have been looking at the availability of Fibre (FTTx) from BT and others. According to the Openreach website my local exchange in Southwark is "Accepting orders" for fibre connections here. I have tried contacting BT, Claranet soho, The Co-Operative, EE, Plusnet and Sky, who are all listed on openreach as possible fibre providers for the Southwark exchange in question, but they all estimate between 3-6 Mbps, with fibre unavailable.

Has anyone around the Shad Thames area found a company who can provide access to fibre connections, or at least something quicker than 3-4 Mbps.

Many thanks,
Peregrine
Monday 28 October 2013 9.51am
Is Virgin Media not available? Theirs is the fastest broadband you'll get. I have it myself. Failing that, try Bulldog. Their broadband is usually quicker than BT's - or at least it used to be.
Monday 28 October 2013 10.07am
I get very decent speeds with Sky. Have you asked them to come out and do a line test?
Monday 28 October 2013 1.51pm
Whilst the exchange maybe ready for fibre, your local cabinet may not. Have you tried checking with your phone number rather than the postcode?

I'm near Bermondsey Street and ordered fibre from Sky 6 weeks ago and am still waiting :(
Monday 28 October 2013 3.26pm
the porter from my block in shad thames said a letter will be send out "soon" detailing fibre to our buildings but havent heard anything yet. Very frustrating as the connection speeds are just not fast enough for my needs right now.
Will follow this thread with interest and add any updates when I receive them!
Monday 28 October 2013 3.42pm
The BT exchange into Shad Thames was supposed to be upgraded in September to fibre optic, but we're still waiting. Much like a booked minicab, it's 'just around the corner mate'.
Monday 28 October 2013 8.44pm
Thanks for the replies.

I have just spoken with BT, and as mentioned above, they confirmed that the exchange has been upgraded but the green cabinets here have not yet been upgraded.

I'm pretty sure I noticed an Openreach engineer fiddling inside the green cabinet on the corner of Queen Elizabeth Street and Horseleydown Lane not too long ago, but maybe that was unrelated. Next time I see them, I'll ask if they know anything.

I'll post back here if I manage to get more info. If anyone else manages to find out anything about upgrade timings or similar, that info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Wednesday 30 October 2013 11.25pm
Don't hold your breath if you live in the converted warehouses, most of them have "exchange only" lines, a legacy of the area and warehouses having direct phone connections to the exchange to stop thieves cutting telephone lines. Anyway! What this means is that a large chunk of the Shad Thames area can't get fibre because BT are too cheap to do it.
Thursday 31 October 2013 10.26am
I live in the converted warehouses and the porter told me a couple of weeks ago that BT plan to install boxes outside everyones apartments which will allow you to have fibre installed..
Thursday 31 October 2013 4.34pm
Gegabone wrote:
most of them have "exchange only" lines

Openreach have committed to connecting Exchange Only lines to Infinity/fibre. They were supposed to do this earlier, but the funding wasn't available.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5310-signs-of-progress-for-those-with-an-exchange-only-telephone-line.html
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: