No entries and restrictions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 2.36pm
When Dr. Johnson allegedly said, "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life etc.", he obviously had no knowledge of the fact that TFL/Southwark Council were going to install a bunch of NO ENTRY signs along Janeway St., Wilson Grove, and any road that leads to Jamaica Rd. from just south of Bermondsey Wall East.
Streetwise drivers, faced with a wall of single line traffic, would use the side roads to emerge into Jamaica Rd. nearer the tunnel, well meaning folks labelled them as rat-runners, I always saw it as using available road space to my advantage.
Jamaica Rd., never a good road to travel in the direction toward Rotherhithe Tunnel since the inception of the 24 hr. bus lane, is now like an all day car park.
Fortunately, (for me), I almost NEVER have to drive along it.
Since quitting as a Black Cab driver, I rarely drive anywhere.
Walking keeps me fit, that is how I discovered the NO ENTRY signs on my daily perambulations. and if the weather is inclement, or my old legs get tired, I can ride the bus and read the paper.
I know that government, both national and local, won't quit hammering car drivers until they all switch to bicycles, but it is impossible not to feel for the poor s.o.b's who have probably no alternative but to drive this stretch of road, van drivers, truck drivers etc.
Yesterday, after sitting on a 381 bus at Dockhead for 7 - 8 minutes stationary, because other vehicles were trying to merge with the traffic prior to the bus lane and blocking the progress of the bus, I got off and took a steady stroll home to Rotherhithe.
People going further had no option but to stay on the bus, gazing forlornly from the windows.
Wednesday 30 October 2013 11.48pm
You are not always right Mr. Pepper, but you were bang on the money about the traffic on Tuesday.
I ran into it just past Dockhead Catholic church around 18.30 that evening.
After what seemed an interminable crawl, I eventually turned right into Abbey St., then ducked and weaved my way through Old Jamaica Rd., Spa Rd., Drummond Rd. to Raymouth Rd., thence to Surrey Quays and made my way to Rotherhithe station via Salter Rd., and my final destination in St. Mary Church St.
Jamaica Rd. can be truly horrendous, but actually today it was not as bad as Tuesday.
I know this because I walked from Bermondsey station to Rotherhithe this evening.
I try my damnedest to not use the car, I much prefer the Jubilee Line, then a walk from sometimes Bermondsey station, at other times Canada Water, but there are times when it is unfortunately absolutely necessary to use the car.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: