Helicopter above SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 4 November 2013 10.14pm
Does anyone know why there is a helicopter hovering near the Shard? It's bl**dy loud!
Monday 4 November 2013 10.19pm
The police says it's a "media helicopter"

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 4 November 2013 10.22pm
It's just gone. Typical, just as I go outside to look it flies off....
jlm
Monday 4 November 2013 10.23pm
I got the same story from the police after calling because all my children are now awake. Apparently, it was given permission to film for a game show. the permission was granted for the O2, which is allegedly why no se1 locals were consulted/notified!
jlm
Monday 4 November 2013 10.36pm
it gets worse... according to the police, the civil aviation authority granted permission for filming over the O2 from 11am-9:30pm. Which was then extended from 10pm-11pm, with a location change to over the Shard by the civil aviation authority. The filming started at 9:45pm over the Shard, seemingly before the variation was granted?
The number the police gave me to contact the CAA, went unanswered... So it seems some TV exec has a number that works at 10pm at night to not only relocate filming, but extend the hours.
i hope this is not a sign of things to come...
Monday 4 November 2013 10.37pm
I am not normally fussed about noise, but this one was annoyingly loud and not much point in yelling at a chopper... Thanks for the responses everyone, thankfully it's gone now.
Monday 4 November 2013 10.53pm
very loud indeed, stopped kids from sleeping here in Bankside too

Is this just me or are those night / very early morning filming-sessions with loud choppers increasing in numbers? Noise solution is bad for sleep, therefore for health, physically and mentally. We should not put up with this.

We had enough helicopter noise before and during the games last year to last me for a life time.
Tuesday 5 November 2013 2.23pm
Apart from local residents, no doubt many patients in the wards in Guys Hospital would have been disturbed by the nagging racket. Insult added to injury!

After realising it was staying still for so long, I assumed it was filming something happening on one side of the Shard. Of course, there was also bit of teasing circling, aka 'we're going away now....oh no we're not!'.

Irritating enough, but understanding some of the background 'negotiations' from jlm's comments just adds another annoyance factor. An hour of extreme disturbance for many, for what will probably be a few minutes of film in a puerile game show.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: