Survey about kids activities in Lambeth/Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 November 2013 6.03am
We are two SE1 mums who have decided to rise to a challenge set by the Design Council and Guys & St Thomas's Trust. The Knee High Challenge was launched this summer and asked for ideas to improve the lives and well being of children under five in Lambeth and Southwark.

We are trying to get as many parents and carers as possible to complete a survey which will give us the information we need to develop our idea.

The survey takes ten minutes and you have the option to enter a draw for 50 of Argos vouchers at the end.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Kidsconnect2013

Thank you very much for your help,

Hannah White and Tracey Gilbert
Wednesday 6 November 2013 7.49am
Useful initiative, but Argos vouchers?
Wednesday 6 November 2013 10.08am
I'm sure the aims are admirable, but it seems that you've already decided to make a smartphone app, so why ask about it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 6 November 2013 10.36am
Ivanhoe wrote:
I'm sure the aims are admirable, but it seems that you've already decided to make a smartphone app, so why ask about it?

Hi Ivanhoe

An app was our initial idea but we're keen to test whether others think that's the best approach. We are keen to hear your thoughts - feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Hannah
Wednesday 6 November 2013 11.48am
Thanks, Hannah. My comment was because one of the final Q's on the survey implies that an app will be made.

I've completed the survey. My main comment from experience is that there's a lot more going on for children than you might realise, but that the overwhelming problem is actually finding out that anything at all is happening. To their credit, Southwark council provide/subsidise quite a lot of things (at least they did 4 yrs ago, when we had a baby), but it was only through sheer coincidence/luck that we found out about any of it. Over time, I've also become aware of various activities at places like Coin St/Mint St, but only through coincidence.

London isn't really a place where we all know our neighbours and spend ages chatting to them, finding out about local activities. Even if we did, hardly any of our neighbours have children of any age, so it's not difficult to find out about a new bar or restaurant, but it's pretty hard for new parents to know where to start to look to find out about activities and support for them and their babies.

All the smartphone apps in the world won't solve the basic problem of lack of basic awareness that there ARE groups out there (council and otherwise) who might be doing things that might be useful. (If people don't know that there's stuff out there, how will they know to search for an app which tells them more about what's on offer?).

I'd have thought it might do a lot of good to hand out a simple list of groups and contact info to people leaving Southwark's maternity wards, for instance. Not very technologically whizzy. I know, but very practical.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 8 November 2013 9.10am
I can't relate with Ivanhoe's comments enough, as a parent of a 3yo and 10mo I find discovering things to do is a challenge mostly based on luck, will be completing the survey and checking out the app shortly.

Though a positive is this website sometimes provides information on events, if there was maybe a way to sign up to hear about children specific things the site made more aware to the public it could work out?
Sunday 10 November 2013 12.21pm
Hi there,

I run a small Art School in my art studio on Tooley Street and I have the opposite problem of trying to get the word out there! I have tried Mumsnet, Netmums, Gumtree all on the local listings. A lot of places seem to offer you an advertising space (cost minumum of 300) which is unaffordable for someone like me. There doesn't seem to be any 'one stop shop' where you can find or list these activities.
Sunday 10 November 2013 12.25pm
I run a small Art School in my art studio on Tooley Street and I have the opposite problem of trying to get the word out there! I have tried Mumsnet, Netmums, Gumtree all on the local listings. A lot of places seem to offer you an advertising space (cost minumum of 300) which is unaffordable for someone like me. There doesn't seem to be any 'one stop shop' where you can find or list these activities.
Sunday 10 November 2013 1.55pm
Hi Jana - I wonder if James and the excellent SE1 site could help out with a "Kids" section?
Sunday 10 November 2013 3.17pm
Thanks Boss, will do. I just wanted to illustrate that there seems to be a disconnect between people looking for and providing activities, hopefully a solution will come of all this :-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: