Parking in Leathermarket Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
GC
Wednesday 6 November 2013 9.58am
For those who are interested for 2 years now I've been campaigning for action against the 'blocking' of 4 parking bays at end of Leathermarket St for the sole use of a local business so they can park free. The council have come up with loads of ludicrous reasons why they simply cannot install parking measures, resulting in having to have an act of parliament to allow a PayPoint to be installed. Several dates have been given & missed. The latest from the council is as follows:
"Unfortunately PayPoint has not become operational. There has been some delay due to technical difficulties with the proposal. However, we believe these have now been overcome. The project is now in a queue for preparation of the traffic order that will give statutory notice of the council's intention to change in use of the bay, I expect notice to be given by the end of November. In the absence of any statutory objections, we now expect to complete the changes in late January"
Wednesday 6 November 2013 12.12pm
GC - over the past 18 months I have also been making regular enquiries regarding these bays although had little luck with the council and only a slightly better response from Simon Hughes' office. I have also received correspondence quoting scheduled dates for work and PayPoint installation etc, only to watch each and every one of them pass by without incident. It's good to see you have received a new schedule although I guess we'll have to wait and see whether said installation materialises. Out of interest, do you have a name/correspondence address at the council for this issue?
GC
Wednesday 6 November 2013 1.03pm
I'm so glad I'm not alone with this. I've been dealing with Tim Walker who is the senior engineer of parking. I've also contacted Denise Chapstick who transferred me to Tim. His email is: Tim.Walker@southwark.gov.uk. Not going to hold my breath over the due date for installation though!
Wednesday 6 November 2013 3.27pm
What have you got against a very good local business using these bays. Surely the answer is to give the business exclusive use in return for a reasonable fee, or would you prefer them simply to close down?
GC
Wednesday 6 November 2013 5.46pm
Quite simply because every other business has to pay to park their cars-why the exception. These bays are not 'owned' by the company in question-or perhaps they are? I've suggested to the council that they should charge them but they seem unable to do so. Anyway, surely that's the whole point. The bays are supposed to be available as Pay & Display. We had to pay the council 1,800 to block 1 bay off outside our building for 6 weeks whilst essential scaffolding was erected. So yes I am very annoyed with this situation!!
Wednesday 6 November 2013 9.13pm
GC, is it really that you are fighting altruistically for the benefit of other motorists? If this is, the case I can think of numerous other causes - such as helping the homeless, those families being forced to move out of london because of escalating rent/property prices, benefits being cut to the disabled - that are more deserving attention than this one. They would certainly benefit from someone who is proactive.
Wednesday 6 November 2013 10.27pm
out of interest GC, how long have you lived in SE1? personally i love the garage you are speaking of, and hope they remain in situ long after you have left the area....
GC
Thursday 7 November 2013 8.23am
Bet a lot longer than you Shaggy! 22 years in total and I've run a thriving business here employing staff for longer so I also bring employment into the area. I have no wish to close the garage, I simply want to address the parking situation. To answer WhattheDickens I also do voluntary work and no I'm not fighting altruistically. Interesting though that I've seemed to have opened a hornets nest!
Thursday 7 November 2013 10.13am
ok, fair enough about your longevity in the area - sorry, take that bit back. but i don't think the garage can carry on without use of those spaces and i don't see why you are fighting a one man crusade against them.
Thursday 7 November 2013 4.02pm
Shaggy

i think partly parking is of a premium in the area and lots of local residents and other businesses who pay for parking struggle to park and with the costs of parking and feel the situation where the garage is using these bays for nothing is unfair. If the garage were paying for those bays a fair sum then it would not be an issue for many people.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: