Stopping club nights on Great Suffolk St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 9 November 2013 1.56pm
The garages on Great Suffolk Street (between Union St and Dolben St - next to the FitnessforLess gym) are often used as venues for extremely large parties/DJ events. In the past they were rare, lately they have started to happen every month or so. These events attract easily several hundred teenagers - mostly from out of London.

I have witnessed/experienced:
* mass public urination (even on my building's glass front door!)
* street gets trashed (beer bottles, food wrappers, etc)
* noise from drunk people yelling at each other at early hours of the morning (especially issue during summer when windows are open)
* vandalism

What is the most efficient way to get this across to the Southwark council? Anybody else affected by these events?
Zoe
Saturday 9 November 2013 2.49pm
I have also noticed this when I take my dogs out early on a Sunday morning. I am presuming the large groups of high young people wondering about are related to the clubs, as I can't think of any other reason!
Tuesday 12 November 2013 12.56pm
I'd suggest emailing your local councillor as a start point and also maybe some detective work online.... can you find details on Facebook or elsewhere on internet about the event? If you can help to point out that they're not private parties but are organised events it may help to provoke council action as I think licensing would have been needed etc...
Tuesday 12 November 2013 5.18pm
SophieLondon wrote:
I think licensing would have been needed etc...

The venue - Ewer Street Car Park - does have a full club license. Granted in 2010. 831841

You can, as an "interested party" ask Southwark Council to review any licence. However these reviews are based on strict criteria and it is often hard as a layman to prove "prevention of crime and disorder", ie that criminal rather than just anti-social acitivty is taking place. However guidance for requesting a review is here [PDF].

The Noise Team or your local Councillor may be a good first help.
Wednesday 13 November 2013 11.34am
It's also worth looking at the planning status of the site - this application has been 'pending' for two years now:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9539335

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Wednesday 13 November 2013 10.06pm
What does that mean, do they not actually have planning permission?
Friday 15 November 2013 5.54pm
I see they have a license to stay open until 7.30am. What is irresponsible of them is that they seem to kick people out most times at 6am already, when the clubbers can't get home from the area, there is often a big crowd waiting outside the tube station
Friday 15 November 2013 9.28pm
Different sort of alcohol-fuelled event this weekend:
http://www.winecarboot.com

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: