Tribeca Square- at last!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 15 November 2013 2.37pm
I've been looking at that empty site since before the flood. Whew!
Friday 15 November 2013 3.06pm
And I bet someone complains about the "supermarket" not having enough variety!! Glad to see something finally happening here, I grew up around the area and have definatly seen a big change over the last few years.
Zoe
Friday 15 November 2013 6.25pm
I suspect there will be collective mourning that it's not a Waitrose.
Friday 15 November 2013 6.35pm
Why does it have such a ridiculous name? Are the developers desperate to pretend we're in New York? How about Chaplin Square or Faraday Square?
Friday 15 November 2013 6.42pm
The proposed "large Sainsbury's" cannot possibly be as poorly stocked as the E&C Tesco: when I asked them to offer fresh rosemary in the herbs section, they told me: "we aren't ranged for it"...
Friday 15 November 2013 7.10pm
williamn wrote:
Why does it have such a ridiculous name? Are the developers desperate to pretend we're in New York? How about Chaplin Square or Faraday Square?

I think it should be Heygate Square.
Friday 15 November 2013 8.11pm
maurits wrote:
williamn wrote:

I think it should be Heygate Square.

I like that!
Friday 15 November 2013 9.29pm
I'll do it, Zoe.

I thought this was supposed to be gentrification - I was looking forward to a Waitrose and a farmers' market, and all we get is yet another Sainsbury.

I hope the cinema's not going to be sort of place where they show films in English with car crashes to people who talk on their mobile phones through the film.
Friday 15 November 2013 10.08pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I'll do it, Zoe.
I thought this was supposed to be gentrification - I was looking forward to a Waitrose and a farmers' market, and all we get is yet another Sainsbury.

I hope the cinema's not going to be sort of place where they show films in English with car crashes to people who talk on their mobile phones through the film.

Although I like Waitrose a lot, I don't think it should be considered a parameter of regeneration.
Many people in SE1 aren't able to afford shops like Waitrose or wouldn't buy there because of the high end image this supermarket has. Sainsbury's may indeed a rather unimaginative choice, but it probably serves a larger part of the population. That, I think, is regeneration.
Friday 15 November 2013 10.25pm
Hi Maurits,

I think we're talking about different things - you're talking about regeneration and I was prating about gentrification.

I fear our Council leaders think they're probably the same thing, but as our dialectic shows, they're not.

Having said that, it would be nice to have some variety - there are already three Sainsbury shops within five minutes walk of my flat - and it would be healthiest, I think, if the regenerated E&C offered something for everyone.

Like it or not, the middle-classes are here and they're not going away.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: