Cycling in Central London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 21
Friday 15 November 2013 6.10pm
Obviously it's been a horrible few weeks for Cyclists in London. But I think it's wrong to just point the finger of responsibility at the Mayor or the layout of the cycle-highways.

I have just got back from my usual commute from Central London and, as usual, I have seen numerous cyclists:

- cycling through red lights;
- riding without lights (well after dark);
- riding without helmets;
- overtaking large vehicles on the left in left filter lanes;
- not looking behind properly before changing lanes;
- etc

Before I receive a barrage of replies, I would like to say (a) I am a cyclist in Central London myself, and (b) most cyclists are much better than this.

However, there is a significant minority of cyclists in London who are quite simply dangerous.

I think the only solution to this will be to introduce a basic registration requirement. I would suggest that anyone wishing to cycle in, say, Zone 1 or the Congestion Zone, should have to display a registration number on the back of their bike (rather like Taxis have license numbers displayed). I think that if riders knew there was some sort of come-back, they would be less likely to cycle through red-lights etc.

I would also suggest that in order to obtain a registration, you would have to do a day's proficiency training - rather like the CBT for Scooters. Not something you can fail, just training in basic cycling safety.

Other requirements could be that you have to wear a helmet and have working lights after dark. If you get caught without, you loose you registration number.

There are problems with this approach. I know a lot of cyclists would see this as encroaching on their 'freedom' and a step towards requiring cyclists to have insurance etc. Also I don't know where it would leave the Boris Bikes...

It just worries me that anyone who has no road experience at all, can buy or hire a bike and be in the think of Central London traffic minutes later.
Friday 15 November 2013 6.24pm
There is no evidence that those killed were doing anything illegal or weren't experienced cyclists. Please do not blame victims, it is distasteful and insensitive. These types of comments will make the families of those killed feel they have to defend their relatives.

Registration will not make cycle superhighway 2 a safer ride.
Friday 15 November 2013 7.41pm
London must be about the most dangerous place in the world to cycle...don't really get it myself. Why bother?
Friday 15 November 2013 8.10pm
You can't release (tens of?) thousands of cyclists onto the streets without anticipating issues, yet it seems no risk assessment whatsoever had been carried out, definitely not when that ridiculous blue paint was slapped onto the streets. The total lack of responsibility by roadusers is exemplified by those flaunting what little rules and laws there are to regulate coexistence whereas large part of the rest simply doesn't know how to handle traffic and simply seem to closer their eyes and hope all goes well. It is irresponsible, with the way cycling has boomed over the last years and especially in SE1 with all the HGV traffic to simply tell people to get on their bikes. As some interviewee on the BBC said this morning - with political leaders taking the proverbial were traffic rules are concerned, no wonder there is total chaos on the streets. Irresponsible and those casualties have been totally unnecessary. Personally, I blame BoJo's political ambitions and desire to leave his Mayoral footprints all over London for the total inertia in dealing with this.
Friday 15 November 2013 9.02pm
Zoe wrote:
Please do not blame victims, it is distasteful and insensitive.

I was very careful not to do this. Perhaps you would do me the courtesy of reading my post properly next time before commenting.
Friday 15 November 2013 9.30pm
This general subject has been debated extensively on this forum several times a year for at least the last 10 years.

Please only post in this thread if you have a genuinely new insight to offer on the problem of how we all share the roads and pavements of London.

If this thread shows further signs of descending to the usual level of debates on this subject, it will be closed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 15 November 2013 11.02pm
James - any updates on the abbey road junction? the flats that were supposed to fund the improvements are 100% sold and almost finished. keen to hear any news
Saturday 16 November 2013 8.40am
i might start riding a bike again just to get one of these :

Airbag for cyclists
Tuesday 19 November 2013 6.36pm
so, theres been a lot of deaths lately.
WHY do people think it is acceptable to BLAME the victim for their own death, when there is NO evidence that they were to blame?!

Where is the report that says the cyclist was mowed down as they jumped a red light?

Where is the evidence that says they were listening to music.

AND who thinks that they should be blamed for their own death because they werent wearing a helmet when the LORRY crushed them!

Any cyclists on this forum pointing the finger at their "own" (cyclists) needs to take a long hard look at themselves. we should be asking drivers to indicate left, check mirrors, keep to the speed limit, leave advance stop boxes clear for cyclists and drive with care and attention!
But instead some people think "i saw a cyclists break the law yesterday, therefore all the deaths must be their own fault".

It makes me sick it really does!!!
Tuesday 19 November 2013 6.42pm
Robin_Hood wrote:
Where is the evidence that says they were listening to music.

"More than 100 cyclists were stopped at Vauxhall Bridge Road over "concerns about their behaviour" such as cutting corners or wearing headphones while riding."

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: