Rabot 1745

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 16 November 2013 8.47pm
Has anyone tried this new restaurant in Bedale Street, Borough Market yet?
I have made reservations for next Saturday, for my wife and I , plus two friends, to celebrate my birthday.
I have opted for this restaurant because it is part of the hotelchocolat group, and both of the two wives are chocaholics.
Apparently most, if not all, of the items on the menu are infused with chocolate in some manner.
Not chocolate per se, but cacao, or chocolate nibs.
Should be different, I'll let you know what I think when I've been, but if anyone has already tried I'd appreciate their views.
Saturday 16 November 2013 10.33pm
I am curious to know what you make of it. I am not a chocoholic, but I found the menu very interesting.
Monday 18 November 2013 4.58pm
I didn't think it was open yet.
Monday 18 November 2013 7.26pm
jcpse1 wrote:
I didn't think it was open yet.

It opened last week. Certainly the shop/coffee bar on the ground floor was trading.

Hotel Chocolat getting a bigger toe-hold in what is supposed to be chain-free B/Market. Managed it trading as Rabot, and 'hiding' their HC branded products at the back of the shop!
Monday 18 November 2013 10.31pm
Yes the fact it's Hotel Chocolat is well hidden. I felt a bit cheated afterwards having thought it was an independent. Still, not many coffee options in the area, and it's preferable to the awful Lila next door.
Monday 18 November 2013 11.50pm
With the best will in the world I don't see Hotel Chocolat as a chain in the same style of say, Pret a Manger .
Yes they have numerous outlets around the country selling their chocolates, plus their on-line business, but to my knowledge Rabat 1745 in Borough Market, and Roast+Conch in Leeds are their only two restaurants.
I think that I read in their publicity blurb that Rabat is named after their cocoa plantation in St. Lucia, maybe it was established in 1745.
Tuesday 19 November 2013 10.07am
They've got over 70 shops, a few restaurants and even a hotel. So I reckon they're a chain!
Tuesday 19 November 2013 11.29am
Why do you think Borough Market can say "no" to it opening? Do you think they are the freeholder of the restaurant?
Tuesday 19 November 2013 11.57am
Yes Borough Market is the landlord.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 19 November 2013 12.23pm
se1lurker wrote:
Why do you think Borough Market can say "no" to it opening? Do you think they are the freeholder of the restaurant?

I'm not suggesting BM would reject them as tenants. Money talks. They are the type of 'chain' occupier able to occupy a large space and pay the inflated rents set by the market management these days.

Apologies for starting this diversion. No doubt it'll be put back on track by Mr Pepper's review.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: