Digging up Newington Causeway - 11:45pm

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 November 2013 11.59pm
It is 11:45pm and two chaps have just coned off part of the bus lane just off the E&C roundabout on Newington Causeway and have begun to dig up the road with a pneumatic drill and other loud tools. Living in MCH and looking over the roundabout, this is keeping me awake.

I realise repairs need to be made in hours that cause least disruption to traffic, but this is fairly ridiculous.

Is there anyone I can complain to? I can't see any markings on the lorry they're using, so I'm not entirely sure who it is who is digging up the road. Is this a council issue or a TfL issue? Or is it just an issue I'm going to have to grin and bear?!
Tuesday 19 November 2013 12.38am
I would phone the council first of all to complain. The noise team can be reached on: 0207 525 5777

Even TFL's website suggests phoning the Council.

Sorry I can't be more help, but hopefully the Council noise team can advise
Tuesday 19 November 2013 12.46am
Thank you, Andy - Very much appreciated. Still going on now..! I get the feeling I may be a tad grumpy in the morning...!
Tuesday 19 November 2013 10.04am
Yeah it was pretty damn noisy, luckily I'm a heavy sleeper so I got to sleep ok but it was pretty unreasonable at that hour.
Zoe
Wednesday 20 November 2013 8.00am
Did you call the Council, what did they say? I have called before for roadworks that started in the middle of the night and often they have permission but the Council staff go tell the workers we are being kept up and they generally then try to keep it down. I don't think people always realise that the noise is affecting others.
Saturday 23 November 2013 11.57am
Totally agree with this, I thought it was unacceptable too. I called the council and they fobbed me off, saying it was TFL. I complained to TFL and they said it wasn't one of theirs and passed back to Southwark Council.

Southwark then called me and said it wasn't one of theirs and they had no idea who it was.

Who on earth was it?
Saturday 23 November 2013 9.20pm
Trip Jarvis/Zoe - That's essentially what happened to me. I was passed from pillar to post but couldn't establish who was responsible. I honestly understand that work needs to be carried out when traffic flow is quieter, but the noise/disturbance on Monday night was beyond what's acceptable by anyone's standards.

I'm still trying to find out who was responsible...
Monday 25 November 2013 4.06pm
My understanding it was emergency repair work to a burst water main. It was not planned as no one know the main would burst and need repair
Tuesday 26 November 2013 12.02pm
there's a very good website called London Works.
if there are planned works on the public highway, the contractor needs a permit, from the highway authority, either local council or TfL - and these can be denied if there are other works nearby which will affect things too much. emergencies usually get a permit straight away regardless.
Wednesday 27 November 2013 12.14am
That website is brilliant. Thank you. Whether it represents reality is another matter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network