Devon Mansions storage room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 November 2013 1.08pm
I am just in the process of buying a flat in Devon Mansions and saw that most of the flats in my block have moved their front doors forward slightly and the 'storage room' can become part of the flat.
How easy is it to purchase this space and do I need to approach Southwark council for this ?? does anyone have idea idea what kind of cost I would be looking at ??
Wednesday 20 November 2013 1.41pm
I'm not aware of that and nor is the woman in the housing office. It is true that the two-bed flats do have a smaller bedroom that occupies the space where the drying rooms are on the other floors, with the front doors forward slightly, as you say, but it isn't a purchase-able option - not yet anyway! - for leaseholders to purchase the drying rooms.
Wednesday 20 November 2013 1.52pm
OH, thank you for the reply. I just asked because the flat above me describes itself as 2 bedroom but the 2nd bedroom is the 'drying room'. I just assumed that all the flats started out the same (esp those on top of each other) and that some people bought the extra space.... how did these people get to used the drying room as an extra space and move their doors forward ??
Wednesday 20 November 2013 8.43pm
These people didn't get to use the drying room and add to their flat.

Southwark Council, between 1965 and 1980, reconfigured the flats - originally there were 525 flats, but now only 337 or thereabouts - and there is a mixture of one, two and three bed flats.

The flat above you is a two bedroom, but the dimensions of the second bedroom is less than 6.5sqm so it doesn't really count, Building Regulations-wise today anyway, as a bedroom.

So in answer to your question, nobody has moved their doors forward. Those doors have been in the same physical position since the extensive renovations years ago.

Hope your prospective purchase works out and welcome to SE1.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: