Sainsbury on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Zoe
Wednesday 27 November 2013 7.46am
There is also an independent hairdressers there and it's not easy to find a reasonably priced hairdresser.

Phil, congrats on the weight loss.
Monday 11 July 2016 8.00pm
Nearly three years on, there's a planning application in connection with the conversion of Express Supersave into a branch of Daniel Cobb estate agents:

http://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9567465

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 11 July 2016 8.53pm
I do hope that this sale is to give the owners a long and well deserved retirement, not because they were pushed.They'd endured a lot with the incessant road improvements , and now that they've finally finished making the racket outside, trade has fallen. An estate agent ...hope they'll also be selling ice creams to the children going home from school, and take in parcel deliveries for us.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 12.14pm
While I hate the idea of an estate agents itís not surprising that another local shop is going. We can moan and complain all we want but we are, generally, really bad at supporting local businesses. Iím as guilty as most, I only ever go in to Express Supersave when I need spices and herbs. Realistically thay canít survive on selling ice creams and taking in parcels.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 12.15pm
James Hatts wrote:
Nearly three years on, there's a planning application in connection with the conversion of Express Supersave into a branch of Daniel Cobb estate agents:
http://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9567465

The newspaper shop towards St George's Circus on the Waterloo Road is being transformed into an estate agency, too. It seems we have an outbreak of businesses feeding off the property market rather than ones that cater to local needs.

While the area being a bit more like Upper Street would be nice, it's the restaurants, bars, fringe theatres, music venues etc that I was thinking of, rather than the estate agencies.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 2.04pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
James Hatts wrote:

The newspaper shop towards St George's Circus on the Waterloo Road is being transformed into an estate agency, too. It seems we have an outbreak of businesses feeding off the property market rather than ones that cater to local needs.

While the area being a bit more like Upper Street would be nice, it's the restaurants, bars, fringe theatres, music venues etc that I was thinking of, rather than the estate agencies.

True, "restaurants, bars, fringe theatres, music venues" are lovely so long as you don't need to live near them!
Wednesday 13 July 2016 12.12pm
Oh no - that's so sad! I love that store, I've been going to it for almost 10 years now. The owners are fantastic.

And an estate agency is possibly the least inspiring thing they could be replacing it with.
Friday 15 July 2016 1.52pm
I was in Express Supersave yesterday and the owner said the planning application had slightly jumped the gun, as it hasn't been confirmed yet - but yes, they've been trying to sell for a few years now.

He said this has probably been their best year, what with all the building sites and the roadworks to prop up business, but that it will be slower from here.

Very sad from our POV but at least his folks will be able to retire.
Friday 15 July 2016 4.47pm
That's a good point, it wasn't all doom and gloom then !
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network