What are the 'air horn' sounds coming from SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 22 November 2013 4.29pm
I work near Bermondsey Street/ St Thomas Street and over the past few days I keep hearing a noise that I would describe as an air-horn. Does anyone know where it's coming from and why?
Monday 25 November 2013 1.48pm
.. How odd ! I posted about this the other week as I live by the Bricklayers arms and heard these mysterious sounds which woke me up at 4am on a Saturday morning. I thought it might be a Fog horn and it kept going at five minute intervals for about ten seconds at a time. I opened my bedroom window and it seemed to be coming from Bermondsey on the Tower Bridge Road side. After several replies onto my post the sounds remain a mystery !
Monday 25 November 2013 2.03pm
At 4am every morning we get a soft sort of hum,it's quite loud and wakes me up sometimes,this is in St Geordes circus area,lasts about 10 minutes and then goes intermittent for about 20 mins,driving me mad it is,I never related it to the bricklayers noise before,this noise feels more local than that,interesting!

It's every morning,without fail and has been going for a month or so that I know of.
Monday 25 November 2013 2.11pm
boroughonian, it sounded very local to me as well but was difficult to pin point any exact location but it must be the same thing and covers a wider area than whlsarah or me I guess. It drove be bonkers as well I had to go to the sitting room to get some quiet it was that bad. I have not heard it since for about three weeks but I am now convinced by your description that is what I heard as well but it's interesting you are hearing a hum so it may be more over your way the source .. all very very mysterious indeed.
Monday 25 November 2013 3.34pm
Micky,well I said it's been going about a month but it could be three weeks,it's on the move!

I'd say it was alto.

PS: actually,thinking about it,it could well be on the move and a railway thing?

PPS:I'm going mad,Micky I used to live at the Brick and remember the noise your talking about,it was like a fog horn and sounded closer than the Thames but that's all I could think of,that's going back over 10 years,i've just mentined it to the Mrs,she remembers it too.

Mines completely different.
Monday 25 November 2013 8.32pm
Thanks both, it's really odd- seems to happen throughout the day. I assumed it was something to do with the station developments but it seems to be coming from a slightly different direction.
Tuesday 26 November 2013 11.57am
heard from Bricklayers Arms, but nearer than The Thames?
Could it be some works on the railways lines into London Bridge?
Thursday 28 November 2013 2.49pm
I work in Lower Marsh, I think the horn noises are coming from Waterloo Railway Station
Thursday 28 November 2013 3.17pm
There is a huge crane at the entrance of St. Thomas Street. When I walked past last night they were sounding an air horn at the start of each lift to warn the workers under the crane.
Zoe
Friday 29 November 2013 9.32pm
Is it possibly more than one horn? If it's related to cranes there are loads about (which would explain why it seems to come from everywhere).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: