Pedestrian crossing Tower Bridge Road / Abbey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 25 November 2013 8.50am
Anyone knows what the story is about this junction, and whether a pedestrian crossing will be installed? I thought a crossing was initially rejected by the Mayor, then after local campaigning it was considered by TFL and some section 106 money was put aside for it.

Has there been a decision to instal a crossing, and if so why has it still not been done?

Thanks.

Last news re crossing TBR/Abbey St
Monday 25 November 2013 9.35am
Hi Froggy. We were successful in lobbying TfL to include changes to this crossing (signaled pedestrian crossing phase, improvements for cyclists) in a series of proposed improvements to Tower Bridge Road (e.g. additional cycle lanes etc). The next stage was for TfL to consult on the changes. Improvements to this junction (Abbey St/TBR) were first on the consultation timetable.

I made an enquiry myself a couple of weeks ago about what was happening as things seemed to have gone a bit quiet. Council officers informed me that TfL's timeline has been delayed but that the consultation on this junction is expected to start before the end of the month. We will need to keep an eye on this to make sure it does not slip further.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will include them in my next set of questions to TfL/council officers.

Claire
(Labour Councillor for Chaucer ward)
Zoe
Monday 25 November 2013 9.19pm
Hi Councillor, are TfL considering stopping the right hand turn into Abbey Street or adding a right hand turning signal? I find the cars turning right cause a backlog, which leads to aggressive driving by cars in the left lane who try to squeeze thru and squash up cyclists.
Monday 25 November 2013 9.43pm
Zoe - I agree the right hand turn is not ideal, my only concern would be that if removed, it would increase the traffic on the narrow residential roads further up TBR on the right (eg Tanner St). They aren't suited to take that volume of eastbound traffic.

Closing the right hand turn would really block any northbound TBR traffic intending to head east. Eg You can't turn right on to Tooley Street from TBR and the left turn off TBR to Fair Street to loop round on to Tooley Street takes you into the C-Charge zone, so many would avoid it. The result would be more traffic on the likes of Tanner St trying to get back to Abbey st.

As you suggest, a right hand filter arrow at the junction could be the solution to clear the backlog.
Zoe
Tuesday 26 November 2013 8.22am
That's a good point and it's not particularly easy to get to Abbey Street via other routes eg up Grange Road, as Neckinger is one way so people would be forced to use the small streets.

I'm a big fan of right hand turning lights and getting one on Blackfriars Road onto The Cut has cut accidents. Hopefully people will add this to the consultation feedback for TBR.
Wednesday 27 November 2013 10.36am
Thanks for the update, Councillor Claire, please do keep up the pressure.

Adding a right-hand turn lane / signal would seem a better solution than banning the right-hand turn into Abbey Street. A ban would just displace the problem to even less suitable streets - right turns into Grange Walk and Purbrook Street to head east.
Friday 3 January 2014 3.43pm
News at last: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7306

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 January 2014 4.05pm
Anybody else unable to access the map / drawing?

I like the idea of a cycle path through the churchyard, but wondering how you'd reconnect to go up Abbey St?
Friday 3 January 2014 4.14pm
Yes, it looks like the map hasn't been uploaded yet. The consultation period doesn't begin till Monday so we should probably cut TfL some slack till then.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 January 2014 4.36pm
Fair enuff, thanks James - I'll try again on Monday.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: