Do you want safer crossings on Borough High Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 1 December 2013 10.20am
Hello,

We would really love anybodies support to help us persuade Transport for London and Southwark Council to put in pedestrian phasing on the Borough High Street
crossings with Trinity/Great Suffolk Street and the one outside St George the
Martyr.

You can support us by:

1. Signing the petition:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/safe-crossings-on-borough-high-st-campaign/signatures.html

2. Coming along to either of these crossings at 3.45-4.15 on Friday 6th Dec.
There will be press and councillors coming along and we'd like to show them how
much local support there is for improvement at these crossings. (Just to be clear, we will not be obstructing traffic flow, just collecting signatures from crossing users!)

Look forward to seeing you there,

Victoria & Sameena
Sunday 1 December 2013 12.02pm
Thanks, I've signed. But why is no-one also petitioning for a crossing between, say, Barclays Banks and Borough Market (on either side of Borough High St.), where we have huge numbers of people but a bl**dy motorway of cars to cross and a tiny sliver of safe-space in the middle of the street ?! There needs to be a much more pedestrian-friendly crossing in the heart of now-touristy BHS !
Zoe
Sunday 1 December 2013 12.46pm
Have signed. Thanks for doing this, BHS needs a lot more crossings.
Sunday 1 December 2013 8.50pm
Hi VicD....
We're going to be broaching the Borough Market crossings hopefully in the new year. The one you quote is terrible; there also needs to be some pedestrian phasing from Barclays across to Kehoes and then across to Borough Market, and then there's the Southwark Street/ Redcross Way junction, that isn't a designated crossing, but is heavily used by pedestrians as a key entry point into Borough Market - this one has been mentioned to us by many locals. So yes, there needs to be a concerted Borough Market Crossings plan of action...watch this space! V
Monday 2 December 2013 10.25am
Signed!
Friday 6 December 2013 10.30am
Thank you for every one that's signed the on-line petition.

This is just a quick note to remind anyone who reads this that we are at the St George the Martyr crossing today collecting signatures. if anyone has the spare time or would like to help, please do pop along.

Also, at 3.45-4.15, we are expecting local councillors to come along to talk with us, so if you would like to come along then, please do!

Thank you so much, Victoria
Friday 3 January 2014 4.54pm
Been meaning to post this which I found in a TfL response to a planning application:

"TfL is developing a scheme at the Borough High Street/St Thomas Street junction to improve pedestrian and cycle facilities, with associated urban realm improvements, for implementation in late 2014/early 2015."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Friday 3 January 2014 7.03pm
I really think it's time they found a way for people to go east without having to go onto BHS/Tooley Street. It's mad that we can go one way safely up Union Street, but with no way back.
Friday 3 January 2014 10.20pm
Zoe wrote:
I really think it's time they found a way for people to go east without having to go onto BHS/Tooley Street. It's mad that we can go one way safely up Union Street, but with no way back.

I don't understand, Zoe. I've never had any problem going both ways along Union Street.
Zoe
Saturday 4 January 2014 2.49pm
Sorry, I meant to go East after BHS, the choice is right at the Tooley Street junction or a roundabout route via long lane.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network