Shopping Centre Redevelopment Delancey and APG

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.52am
Well it looks like the Shopping Centre has gone to someone who wants to build 100s of properties on the site, post demolition, and link it to almost mythical Tribeca Square. I wonder how long it'll take these two unicorns to meet up and make something that doesn't look like a derelict bombsite?

Since they're linking up the two sites will they be developed independently or will everything go on hold until they can do both together?
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.56am
Delancey came to the council's overview and scrutiny committee last night and gave a little more information on their intentions - news story to follow.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 December 2013 11.44am
Marvellous! Thanks for being on it James. I look forward to the proposals.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 10.08am
It rather depends on Network Rail. From one of the Lend Lease exhibitions I established that they're all working to create a walking link through one of the arches, but of course what it means for businesses there and the NCP car park remains to be seen - I imagine something akin to what's happening at Union Street (http://www.uniontheatre.biz/#/save-union-st/4575402768)
Wednesday 4 December 2013 2.28pm
I hear on the grapevine we are looking at a big main store and 100's of houses (e.g. tesco etc)

How is that an improvement on what is there now? Sad if true....
Friday 6 December 2013 7.18pm
There's an article with some details at www.propertyweek.com though you have to be a subscriber to view.

The key points:

- The new joint venture is planning 500,000 sq ft on the shopping centre site. This is an increase from 327,000 sq ft at present
- They are planning for 1,000 or more new homes. Rather than private flats for sale, they will retain ownership and rent them out privately.
- This will all be managed jointly with the Tribeca Square site which they also own and will be known as 'South Village' - essentially the same model they are using for the 'East Village' aka the Olympic Village - see http://www.getlivinglondon.com/

Obviously the big issue will be whether that amount of development is approved, and how much affordable housing is negotiated.
Friday 6 December 2013 7.27pm
Sorry, I just realised I should have said 500,000 sq ft of *retail*

So the key point is there will actually be more retail than at present, with a huge amount of housing on top - so potentially very tall buildings.
Friday 6 December 2013 8.35pm
MrChris wrote:
how much affordable housing is negotiated.

Let me guess....
Sunday 26 January 2014 4.24pm
Next Saturday's Borough, Bankside & Walworth Community Council agenda includes a speaker from Delancey re the shopping centre site:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/13861

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
jpm
Tuesday 4 February 2014 4.37pm
The thing that will give us most clarity in this debate is when people stop using the phrase 'affordable housing' - which is an Orwellian masterpiece of meaninglessness.

All housing is affordable to somebody - even the 50m apartment on the Shard.

So is it:
- council-rent housing (ie about 130 per week) - which is affordable to lots of people who live round here.

- Is it the 'slightly-less-than-standard-market-rent' housing that Housing associations are encouraged to build nowadays (at about 60-80% of standard market rate' (so say about 240-360 per week for a 2 bed flat)

- Is it shared ownership/intermediate rent/first time buyer discount - so it's a bit cheaper for those people trying to get on the property ladder

The words 'affordable housing' has been used for all off these. While many local people might like it to mean council-rent, it usually means one of the other more expensive options.

Be clear about what we're getting and we can make the decisions more easily.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: