Disused toilets TBR & Grange Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.01pm
Hi all

Just seen a planning permission notification come round for a redevelopment of the underground public toilets on the triangle at the junction of Tower Bridge Rd and Grange Rd. Looks like they want to keep most of the original above ground iron-work etc and the tiling downstairs which looks good, and use the space for a wine bar. I'm sure there will be lots of opposing views on the wine bar / licensing, but good to see that someone wants to tidy it all up.

Just wondering if anyone knows any of the history behind the public toilets? When built? When/why did they fall into disuse/disrepair?

Thanks all
Alistair
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.08pm
It's a renewal of the planning permission for the Qubicle bar scheme which will otherwise lapse early next year having been unimplemented for three years.

As to how long the've been closed, this 2008 thread suggests at least six years before that (so 2002 or thereabouts).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 9.47am
wonder if they have keep the bannister going into or rather handrail going downstairs..beautiful brass I think or was it copper in which case thats gone already! the fittings in the cubicles were lovely too and the wooden doors. I think it should have been kept open because it was always closed people stopped even attempting to use the ladies. and because society beeing what it is sometimes, I was told unsavory events were occurring in the gents? Cant think of when it finally closed though.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 10.02am
Thanks for the links James, hadn't realised they were simply renewing an existing permission. Would be good it they got a move on and did some work though!

Oh, and I hope that if Jan is right they give the tiles a thorough scrubbing before reopening...
Wednesday 4 December 2013 11.17am
There was a sign attached to the toilet for a while: with "TO LET" in large white letters. Someone kept adding an "I", which would be painted out and then readded. Eventually the sign was removed. Classic.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 11.34am
Talk about toilet humour!
Monday 9 December 2013 5.37pm
At the end of last week and on Saturday three guys were painstakingly scrubbing down the ironwork, presumably in preparation for a paint job. Whether they were council or contractors for the new leaseholder I don't know. Encouraging whichever.
Zoe
Monday 9 December 2013 7.08pm
I felt a bit sorry for the guy painting, he had a little paintbrush and it looked like a really fiddly job.
Monday 24 March 2014 10.06am
Morning all
There has been some more 'activity' recently......but the workmen dont say much when questioned what it might be or when it might open!!
Monday 24 March 2014 10.48pm
Think its this place http://bermondseyartsclub.co.uk/
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: