Upside building artwork - Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 December 2013 4.18pm
Is anyone else a bit conflicted about this? For the past few months. I've been going past trying to figure out what was happening and naively hoped that the developers had decided to keep the building and were restoring it behind the facade.
To find out that it's an artwork for a festival funded by the property developers who are destroying all the heritage buildings and turning Blackfriars into glass and steel blandsville is, to a fan of the arts, confusing.
The piece itself is interesting, I like it, and it draws attention to how the area is being reconfigured in an eye-catching way. But in the end, what really seems to be topsy turvy, is that all the piece does is further the PR campaign for the spurious Blackfriars Mile agenda (from grot to gloss!) and help make the area so expensive that no artist (or anyone who can't afford 600,000 for a one bed flat) can ever live here. It's yet another case of creative capital being used to push a private investor development-led agenda. Or perhaps I'm being too cynical. It does seem a shame though that community interests could never afford a similar project, in order to put across a counter argument - ie. preserve the buildings of character. Protect the streetscape. Keep it humane and historically diverse. Use the site for community infrastructure, not just offices or luxury housing.
Perhaps though there is scope to try and use the piece for a more community message, any thoughts?

Related news & features

Thursday 5 December 2013 11.16pm
Hetty, you are not being cynical. It's all rather odd. I think if I was an English teacher, I would bring my students out to see irony in action.
Friday 6 December 2013 6.56am
Off topic, but I like the idea of irony in action. We all understand the concept of history being made, but teaching other concepts in a practical way could be quite challenging.

I suspect that in SE1 we could find ways to demonstrate this!

Hetty, I know just what you mean. It is a good piece of art and it would be good if we could use it positively.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: