Barclays Bike extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 4.36pm
Wandsworth, Lambeth and Kensington & Chelsea are seeing a significant extension of the Barclays bikes. I am very disappointed it has not been extended further into SE1, SE16 and SE15. It would be great to have bicycles near Bermondsey tube station and certainly further into Peckham and New Cross.

Wapping and Canada Water would also be helpful.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 4.37pm
The council has been doing some work to identify potential sites for docking stations further east from the current area:
http://www.se16.com/1179-southwark-to-investigate-cycle-hire-expansion-to-se16

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 5.16pm
Thank you, James. I wonder whether the investigation has been done already.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 5.31pm
There is a Facebook page here

Please join us
TAK
Wednesday 11 December 2013 5.58pm
maurits wrote:
Wandsworth, Lambeth and Kensington & Chelsea are seeing a significant extension of the Barclays bikes. I am very disappointed it has not been extended further into SE1, SE16 and SE15. It would be great to have bicycles near Bermondsey tube station and certainly further into Peckham and New Cross.
Wapping and Canada Water would also be helpful.

Totally agree. I feel they should also extend all the way down to camberwell too which could be very hand for people around there to access the tube / main railway stations, especially so since the tube does not stretch so far.
Zoe
Wednesday 11 December 2013 6.49pm
It would be good if they also gave us longer than half an hour free, to fit in with the expansion, given that they have doubled the yearly price.
Wednesday 11 December 2013 7.31pm
barclays have announced they're pulling out of the scheme, and it's nothing to do with the fact they weren't making enough money out of it oh no. or with the fact that boris johnson was saying it's the protesters who are scaring people and stopping them from cycling
Wednesday 11 December 2013 11.51pm
Maurits,

You are absolutely right - many of the SE1 docking stations sit on the edge of the hire-zone boundary but are probably the most Centrally located 'frontline' stations - as a result they are very heavily used as they attract custom from densely populated areas just outside the hire-zone.

Looking at the zone map - an Eastern push to Canada Water as described above and a Southern reach to Burgess Park or even Peckham would be the next logical phase of development.

The recent extensions, as for Pretty much all transport projects in London under Boris, only seem to serve political purposes i.e. showpiece extensions to the Olympic Park rushed through itime for the Olympics and Western extensions - i.e. areas where Boris voters mostly live.

If Boris had not recinded the Western (Kensington & Chelsea, Notting Hill) extension to the Congestion Charging Zone, TfL would have had around 50m more of their own income to spend on these types of projects every year.

Our local political representatives really need to keep up the pressure on TfL.
Saturday 25 January 2014 2.59pm
At council assembly this week the council leader and cabinet member for transport confirmed that they are prepared to put money in to extending the scheme to Rotherhithe, Bermondsey, Camberwell and Peckham:

(the reference to cycle hire is at the end of this first clip)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 January 2014 11.29am
Zoe wrote:
It would be good if they also gave us longer than half an hour free, to fit in with the expansion, given that they have doubled the yearly price.

The idea behid the 30 mins is to keep circulation of bikes around the docking stations though. If they extended this time it would (presumably, I haven't done any modelling) mean that 'middle' stations would not be used, while those on the fringes became empty/over crowded depending on the time of day.

30 mins seems fine to me - you can get a long way across London in 30 mins on a bike. Even if you stop at traffic lights!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: