Weston Street 1910

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 15 December 2013 4.38pm
I've found an old photo album in a charity shop with pictures of a family from 65 Weston Street, Bermondsey from 1910. Family name looks like Ames. Wondered if anyone had any more info about this family as I'd love to reunite them with the album.
Monday 16 December 2013 12.04am
As well as asking if any SE1 readers know of the family, you might wish to visit the Local Studies (LS) Library to look up information. The staff will be pleased to help, and it shouldn't take long.

For example, you could look in the electoral roll and Kelly's Directory to see who was living at 65 Weston Street in 1910, and how long people with that surname (or surnames) are recorded at the address after that.

Here are details of the LS Library:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200161/local_history_library

Good luck.
Monday 16 December 2013 9.02pm
Hi, many thanks for info. I live in Norfolk, so a bit far to visit the library. But I'll try emailing them.
Thanks again!
Wednesday 18 December 2013 4.44pm
I have gone onto Google Street view and it seems that the original house in long gone. It would be great to reunite the images with their descendants wouldn't it!
Wednesday 18 December 2013 9.13pm
Found Elizabeth Ames 65/67 Weston St in the 1924 Electoral register. Also a Fanny Noon at the same address. Copied the image but don't know how to add it here. Any ideas?
Thursday 30 January 2014 9.47am
Better researchers than I may be able to expand or correct the information below, but here goes:

James Alfred Marsh appears to have been the owner of 65 Weston Street in 1910. He appears to have been the owner and/or occupier of 69 Weston Street in 1890-92 (and possibly earlier), 65 Weston Street from 1893 to 1921, 66 Weston Street from at least 1903, and 67 Weston Street from 1906. He was a shopkeeper, so I assume his shop was located here.

However, in the 1911 census Mr Marsh is shown as living at 122 Snowfields and 65 Weston Street was occupied by Beatrice Ames, a 35-year-old tobacconist. Elizabeth Ames, 39, tobacconist and newsagent, was living at 67 Weston Street, with Fanny Noon, 38 and same occupation.

Someone who knows more about the history of electoral registration may be able to say why Mr Marsh gave 65/67 Weston Street as his place of abode in the 1910 and 1911 electoral registers while he was probably actually living at 122 Snowfields. Perhaps it had something to do with the criteria for qualifying as an elector.

Mr Marsh died on 3rd August 1921, when he would have been 88 or 89 years old. His will gave his address as 65 Weston Street. His estate (195 and 4 shillings) was left to Elizabeth Ames.

Here the trail goes cold. Elizabeth and Beatrice were both still single in 1911. They had an older sister, Amelia, born in about 1857, and an older brother, William, born in about 1870, but I have not found any record of any of them having had children, though I believe William did marry. The Ames siblings were all born in Bethnal Green or thereabouts.
Thursday 30 January 2014 8.38pm
Wow, thanks for info. Plenty there for me to do some more research. I'll let you know if I find out any more. Thanks again!
Thursday 30 January 2014 8.55pm
You're welcome.

It's possible that Amelia Ames married and moved to Australia, and that she had children and descendents are alive today, but I can't say that I'm sure about that.

I feel that it's fairly unlikely that Elizabeth or Beatrice had any children, and William needs to be researched a bit further.

Happy hunting, and do post whatever you find out.
Thursday 30 January 2014 9.21pm
A friend of mine was looking for an old wartime picture in the evening news,he "employed" a lady (retired)to search for it at the British Library and she found it a couple of days,apparently it's an available service and cost him 15 for her time,I wonder if that might be an avenue to look down.

I think the details are on the BL website.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: