Simon Hughes - climbing the greasy pole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 18 December 2013 2.44pm
According to the press release here:
Quote:
Simon Hughes MP (is) to be appointed as a Minister of State at the Ministry of Justice following the resignation from government of the Rt Hon Lord McNally on his appointment as Chair of the Youth Justice Board

So, any residual hopes of him standing up to the Tory government seem to have gone.

Related news & features

Wednesday 18 December 2013 6.29pm
I'm sure that Simon Hughes can bear all the slings and arrows of outraged contempt that we aim at him after all it only took the whiff of a chance in government for him to betray his principles and those who voted for him and to act against the poorest in our society.

And now he is getting his unjust rewards, extra salary, bigger pension and larger golden handshake when the electorate finally get their chance to dump him.
Wednesday 18 December 2013 8.31pm
Less than 18 months to go so he better fill his boots as quickly as he can.
Wednesday 18 December 2013 8.33pm
Me thinks this is why he has moved his snout to a bigger trough - because his current trough will soon be owned by another (and I can't wait).
Wednesday 18 December 2013 9.58pm
or....he's a politician and its his job and this is the highest accolade and would any of you turn down the chance if in his shoes?
Thursday 19 December 2013 9.39am
Apparently Shaggy there are those among us who still expect honour and honouring of election promises and pledges from our representatives in the Palace of Westminster and we do not make excuses for those that fail to so do.

There are other Lib.Dems in this parliament who have turned down such opportunities and they are politicians too and they even vote , sometimes, against this coalition government.

None of his critics would be in his shoes because they would not have behaved as he has and thus would not need to even contemplate taking grubby handouts.
Thursday 19 December 2013 10.14am
was there ever honour in politics? Surely better to be influencing policy from the inside rather than making a fruitless stand outside - otherwise whats the point? I've voted for and against him so have no strong position either way, but can't begrudge the man taking his chance at the top table...its his last opportunity lets face it.
Thursday 19 December 2013 9.18pm
Robin Cooke's resignation from Blair's cabinet over the Iraq war.
Friday 20 December 2013 9.53am
Shaggy,
Perhaps one of the most important resignations, and one of honour, was Geoffrey Howe's on 1st November 1990. As a backbencher without the cabinet his "cricket bat" resignation speech was the trigger that brought about the downfall of Thatcher.
And I am forever grateful for what the man achieved outside office rather than take the dishonourable course of staying inside "because you can influence matters rather than make a fruitless stand outside".
Fruitless? I think not.
Simon Hughes had 18 months or so to redeem himself in the eyes of the electorate but has chosen to take the badge of office and the pecuniary rewards that go with it.
Methinks this is the beginning of his resignation as an MP at the end of this Parliament or as we common folk say "It's time to cop it and hop it".
Friday 20 December 2013 11.27am
For his honourable and courageous intervention in the Jamie Robe murder case he will always get my vote:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1999/nov/02/simonhughes
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: