Where to get Bermondsey photography/paintings?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 December 2013 7.20pm
Hi there,

I have a couple of walls in my house that are looking rather bare and I'd like to put something up that represents the local area. I would quite like something that depicts the 'old' Bermondsey, perhaps from the 19th or early 20th century but I'm not sure where to start.

Any ideas?
AD
Thursday 26 December 2013 1.34pm
There are loads of images online, if you google your street you may be in luck, I've got loads of pictures of Mill Street and the Dockhead area. What I've found surprising is how industrial/derelict the area was in the 80's and the amount of colour photos people uploaded. If you find some decent photos print them yourself or take them to a printer like London Displays who can print onto to foam board (minimum charge 40, but A1 costs a bit less than that if you're doing more than one.)
Bermondseyboy.net has loads of pictures as does skyscrapercity\lost london if you'd need some pointers, here there are lots of older photos engravings.
Alternatively there's the frame shop on Bermondsey Street that has lots of maps.
Thursday 26 December 2013 8.59pm
Thanks AD, great pointers!
Friday 27 December 2013 5.21pm
It could be worth visiting Southwark Local History Library at 211 Borough High Street; access via John Harvard Library which lies in front. Metal cabinets contain numerous photographs and drawings, indexed by street name/location. Images can be copied; see the Council website for further information.

There's a website called Bermondsey Boy which may also be of interest:
http://bermondseyboy.net/
Monday 30 December 2013 5.57pm
Alfred Henry Bool took some great pictures of Bermondsey Street in the 1880's and these can be purchased through the Museum of London website and other online sites. I wrote a short blog about one of Bool's photographs in Bermondsey Street recently and you can read this here.

If you haven't already been, I recommend you get down to the Dulwich Picture Gallery to see the Whistler exhibition before it finishes on 12 January. The exhibition includes his etchings from the 1850's and 60's of the riverfront at Bermondsey, Rotherhithe and Wapping and they are really worth seeing. Here's the link to the DPG Obviously you won't be able to hang these on your wall!

www.richardqmiller.com
Monday 30 December 2013 6.15pm
Richard Miller wrote:
Alfred Henry Bool took some great pictures of Bermondsey Street in the 1880's and these can be purchased through the Museum of London website

For these and other Bermondsey pics go to http://www.museumoflondonprints.com/ and enter 'Bermondsey' in the search box.
Monday 30 December 2013 7.54pm
Bermondsey 167 on Bermondsey Street has art posters inspired by images of Bermondsey Street.
Tuesday 31 December 2013 4.58pm
If you want something a bit more interesting and original and local than a few print reproductions you could visit the Hotel Elephant gallery on Newington Causeway.
Friday 10 January 2014 12.39pm
Thanks for the recommend!
We have a collection of works made by local artist's & makers, including works depicting the local area. Please feel free to drop by Monday-Saturday, 11am - 6pm or send us an email for an appointment info@hotelelephant.co.uk.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: