New Kent Rd/Old Kent Rd Flyover - Convert to Park?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 7 January 2014 12.51pm
Here's a thought (suggested by an SE1 ringer). Many apologies if it's come up before - I haven't seen it.

What's the point of the flyover which goes over the Bricklayers Arms Roundabout? It only goes in one direction and as far as I can see any congestion it takes away from the roundabout goes straight back into congestion on Old Kent Rd. In practice is it any use? (I live nearby but I've virtually never used it as there are better ways to access roads in both directions).

How about closing it to traffic and transforming it into an elevated park - could be something really special?

That's my twopennorth for the day...
Tuesday 7 January 2014 1.01pm
It's a suggestion that's come up from time to time - eg:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6564

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3671

The merits or otherwise of the flyover from a traffic point of view have also been debated here a few times, including in this thread:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/69769

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 1.02pm
Doh!
Tuesday 7 January 2014 5.57pm
Thanks Marcus, I'm only a few hours late to this.
As you can see from James posts, the idea has been mooted before.
I think it's a great idea, but from the links above not likely to fly.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 10.18pm
I seem to remember that the flyover was closed for resurfacing for a while a few years ago,and the traffic congestion seemed measurably worse in my opinion.
Wednesday 8 January 2014 9.36am
One aspect not mentioned here is the speed of traffic going south on NKR. It's pretty bad anyway - often in both direction but seems to accelerate markedly on approaching the flyover - I think this makes people feel they're on the way out of the city onto major roads - they then arrive at OKR with shops, more traffic lights and asmuch if not more pedestrian activity.
I suspect the flyover encourages speeding on NKR.
Monday 13 January 2014 8.10pm
Doesn't the flyover in fact go above what used to be Parragon Park at the top end of Darwin Street (formerly Pitt Street)? Does anyone have knowledge/folk history of when the park went - I imagine after the 39-45 War and local bombing?
Monday 13 January 2014 8.53pm
The flyover runs over what used to be the road junction between New Kent Road, Old Kent Road, Great Dover Street and Tower Bridge Road. At ths point there was a Library, shops and a Theatre. At the junction of Tower Bridge Road and Old Kent Road the Bricklayers Arms pub was located. This road junction has been here since Roman times and was obliterated in pretty shocking example of traffic engineering arrogance.

The Paragon Crescent existed on the South side of New Kent Road and was swept away by the widening of New Kent Road which was part of this project.

The whole area was cleared from 1968 onwards to make space for the road junction, but despite heavy bombing nearby, this wholescale demolition was not as a result of WWII, but was planned as part of an inner ring-road or motorway box. The NW section of this project was built however, and is called the Westway.

Local political opposition in London and the oil crisis scuppered the scheme in the early seventies. I also suspect that the money ran out as the country entered a serious recession and political crisis.

A terrace of victorian buildings on the North side Old Kent Road survives almost as far as the roundabout - this gives you an idea of what the original street layout was like. At the centre of the roundabout you can still see the old LCC tramway manhole covers in exactly the same location as they were before the municipal vandalism began.
Monday 20 January 2014 9.09pm
Thanks Floodplain Very helpful. I will make time to look out he LCC tramway manhole covers.
Tuesday 21 January 2014 10.53pm
Would not this 'park' be an ideal spot for a new Bakerloo tube station?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: