Help to Move Heavy Wardrobe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 January 2014 5.50pm
Please can anyone give us advice / help to move a wardrobe up 2 flights of stairs (including some tight corners). We've emptied it and realised that we can't manage it ourselves. We're just off New Kent Road. Please would any big strong people be prepared to lend us a hand or could anyone recommend some professional who'll do it for a few quid. It's too small a job to call in a removal company and I don't think it's the right sort of job for 0800 Handyman.... Any suggestions gratefully received.
Saturday 18 January 2014 7.33pm
Hi Marcus.
Please be careful, you can do a lot of damage to furniture, to the stairs, and to yourselves in a short space of time.
Moving large, heavy pieces with strangers is fraught with danger: 'Turn it to the left' can start an existential debate on 'the viewer' and 'the subject', and when is 'left' 'right'.
Many wardrobes and armoires can be disassembled, and rebuilt in situ.
You are welcome to email me some photos for advice. Bigvan.com has been shifting heavy stuff up SE1's stairs for nearly two decades, I'm sure we can help, if only to advise.
Saturday 18 January 2014 8.22pm
marcus, i can probably lend a hand tomorrow - sunday - if any good to you?
Saturday 18 January 2014 9.48pm
If you do it yourself, if you can unscrew and take the doors off, take shelves,mirrors off it will help the weight and if the stairs are narrow it help for manouvering over the banisters...
Tuesday 21 January 2014 5.05pm
Still not sure if it's going to fit but wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their encouragement, suggestions and advice.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: