Tap faucet aerator replacement

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 19 January 2014 9.09pm
I am looking for a replacement of the tap faucet aerator. I understand that's what it is called. It saves water by mixing air with water at the tap spout, improving the flow of tap water. When unscrewing the tap spout, there is a filter-like metal piece and metal ring in it.

I have tried various hardware/DIY shops including B&Q, Robert Dyas, Homebase and Leyland but none kept it. I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light.
Monday 20 January 2014 7.28am
You mean these;

http://www.tapmagic.co.uk/Shop/Tapmagic_Products.html

You can also get some from Thames Water for free;

http://www.waterwisely-savewatersavemoney.co.uk

FYI In British usage it's tap aerator.
Americans, Australians and others would call it a faucet aerator.

Why would you need to replace it? If it has lime scale blocking it then soak it for a day in vinegar or some other descaler.
Monday 17 February 2014 11.43pm
Boroughbloke, many thanks for your response. Apologies for my late response. You have been most helpful. I've received the tap aerator from Thames Water. Their website wasn't working earlier but managed to get through eventually.

I have to replace it because they were in pieces! I noticed small pieces of metal started coming out from the tap whenever I turned it on. At first I thought the water was dirty but when I unscrewed it, it turned out the aerator (unlike most with plastic sieve-like plastic surface but mine was fully made of metal) was in pieces. I have to admit that I wasn't aware that they need cleaning up to prevent limescales from blocking. Hopefully, the ones I received from Thames Water will last me a very long time provided that I remove the lime scale once in a while.

Thanks again.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 11.58am
This is such a useful thread.

I've just moved into a new build and all of my taps have these installed already. They drive me crackers - trying to wash your hands ends up with loads of soap still on your skins after rinsing and more water down my front than in the sink!

Where do I get the piece of kit to turn a tap with aerators back to a normal flow tap?

Thanks in advance.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 12.39pm
I was workimg in a building not so long ago where we had to take the metal filter things off, they presented a legionella risk because they create droplets like a shower would.
To be honest looking back it was probably cost cutting on the maintenance, I would disinfect them once a month.

Anthonia,they should unscrew,you might need a spanner or grips though.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 12.57pm
such items are available free from Thames Water
http://www.waterwisely-savewatersavemoney.co.uk/
Tuesday 18 February 2014 1.01pm
I have taken the tap aerators off, but the flow of water is unfocused. There would usually be some sort of head on a tap. If anyone knows the terminology that would allow me to google a normal replacement for an aerator (i.e. the non water efficient one) I would really appreciate it.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 3.10pm
I sent off for the free aerator from Thames Water, but when it finally arrived, it wouldn't fit my particular tap...
Tuesday 18 February 2014 9.20pm
AntoniaK wrote:
I have taken the tap aerators off, but the flow of water is unfocused. There would usually be some sort of head on a tap. If anyone knows the terminology that would allow me to google a normal replacement for an aerator (i.e. the non water efficient one) I would really appreciate it.

A normal flow tap is all over the show and i doubt it would help you. Fact is that the aerators on most taps (the plastic type things) are useless compared to the ones Thames Water supply for free. Have you tried new aerators (like those you can get from Thames Water for the marvelous price of FREE) on your taps? On mine, they make a few teaspoons of water behave like a gushing torrent. Better for the most part from any other situation since the reduced flow means the splash is much reduced.

If you want other types of flow you can get shower type nozzles (really not much good for anything but washing your hands under flowing water) or for a really focused, utterly clear, bubble free and ultra smoooooooooooooooth flow you can get 'laminar flow' outlets (these don't come cheap).
Tuesday 18 February 2014 9.23pm
Jules62 wrote:
I sent off for the free aerator from Thames Water, but when it finally arrived, it wouldn't fit my particular tap...

No end of ones to be found on ebay for not much money if you know what size your tap is...... That assumes it can take an aerator at all. Some can't.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: