Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 18
Tuesday 11 March 2014 8.02pm
No, boroughonian, there will not be more crims living in SE1 post "regen" (hate that word)
as they have no intention of living here, merely investing here. Probably only seen SE1 on a 3D display, or an "off plan" sales plan, or heard Boris prattling on about it at Mipim in Cannes.
There will be just lots of empty "high end" flats and fancy towers. Completely UN affordable potential homes.
Now that is criminal.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 12.05am
denis loretto wrote:
I do not understand the post from James Hatts. No-one is saying that there are no plans to replace - and indeed increase - residential development.

There's a bloody quote at the top of James' post Denis. It's in a box (in your defence, probably an UN affordable one, owned by a child-eating foreigner. But definitely not empty). In it suziq says of the development that 'no replacement housing is planned, apart from the alms houses, just yet more office space'. You can put her down as the 'no-one' he's responding to.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 1.33am
Dear "Turtmcfly"

For the avoidance of misunderstanding I am referring to the general, immediate and pervasive threat that our City in general and our SE1 area in particular faces, rather than disputed interpretations of the precise situation as to one or other individual building. In doing so I hope I am echoing a deep concern felt by many local residents.

Does the choleric language used by you indicate that you feel personally challenged by this? Are you a local resident and if so are you completely happy with the way development in our area is going?

Sincerely
Wednesday 12 March 2014 8.23am
Denis - this thread is largely about one particular site in Blackfriars Road. It is that site that is referred to in the title of the thread, and it is where several of the most vocal posters in this thread live.

On 29 January I posted:
James Hatts wrote:
We're in danger of going over the same ideological ground that has been covered in lots of other threads.
Please could we keep this thread a bit more closely focussed on the specific site on Blackfriars Road described in the opening posts?

Feel free to start other thread(s) to discuss wider issues - or use one of the other more general threads from recent months discussing housing.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 8.58am
Quote:
There's a bloody quote at the top of James' post Denis. It's in a box (in your defence, probably an UN affordable one, owned by a child-eating foreigner. But definitely not empty). In it suziq says of the development that 'no replacement housing is planned, apart from the alms houses, just yet more office space'. You can put her down as the 'no-one' he's responding to.

Well we know the difference between affordable and social housing don't we?
The properties will be owned but that doesn't mean that they will be occupied,but to be honest I think they will be, by the friends and family of "party members".

To think it unfair that people should be turfed from their homes is a perfectly reasonable position, especially if you live in one of them.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 10.01am
Location Location Location
Empty Empty Empty (we thought so)

Have a look at this short film explaining why Neo Bankside, a "high end" development which was "fully sold in Asia" seems to have been built in the wrong place.
It has no international appeal
It is in a non residential location (?)
It is non aspirational

For the same amount of money you could buy in Kensington and Chelsea, Holland Park...
Then do that and leave our homes alone then. Dohhhhhh

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_LU2LYQsY‎
Wednesday 12 March 2014 10.07am
seems that link to the you tube film did not work
here it is again, or Google Neo Bankside
Monty Nawaz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_LU2LYQsY
Wednesday 12 March 2014 10.26am
boroughonian wrote:
To think it unfair that people should be turfed from their homes is a perfectly reasonable position, especially if you live in one of them.

Don't go all macro on me sunshine. Re-read the 'mini-thread within a thread' that is the three posts (James'/Denis'/Mines'). Please don't confuse attitude with content.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 10.44am
denis loretto wrote:
For the avoidance of misunderstanding I am referring to the general, immediate and pervasive threat that our City in general ...

Actually "Denis" you were specifically referring to James' post. And I was specifically pointing out that the premise for questioning it was patently flawed. That's was the intent and extent of my post.

For the record, this foreign investor (from Leicester, which is sort of near to Wales and Scotland at the same time) owns and lives in a flat in Neo Bankside. As JazzyQ will take visceral delight in once again pointing out, it's very lonely here (if you ignore the bleeding Germans next door and the sodding Chinese opposite), so it's nice to have some human interaction, even if some people put words in your mouth.

I am currently quite excited with the way development is going in this area, although I do hope that you are as successful in your endeavours (in regards to 'retaining' Quadrant House) as the strength of your arguments merits. I find this (somewhat tangentially, but still) relevant in terms of the council ability to flex its muscles when often it would have you believe it has little.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 11.08am
I respect and must accept the limitations that James Hatts is laying down for this thread but I do think the particular case of Blackfriars Road is only really understandable and debatable in the context of what is happening more generally. Some way must be found for the real interests and concerns of the people who live and work here to be addressed. Increasingly it appears that those who control our local council and (even more so) the Mayor of London are in virtually complete thrall to developers whose focus lies far from our vital interests.

With that I obediently bow out of this thread.
Current: 9 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network