Another piece of history to go...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 24 January 2014 10.06pm
Just read in southwark news that another part of my history is going to be demolished...The London Refraction Hospital or as most people on here know it as the Institute of Optometry in Newington Causeway. This nice old building has been part of my eye care since 1960, I remember walking in with my husband and was seen straight away when he developed diabetic retinopathy and was given a frisnel patch without any charge or quibble, and that was because a Senior Eye consultant happened to be in that day.

Peabody Homes are going to plonk down a 38 storey Tower and 6 15 storey towers between Borough Road,Newington Causeway and the railway line, a total of 550 flats, car parking offices etc. I hope the planned car parking mooted will be large enough for 550 cars! the flats will b e the size of shoe boxes.

Why cant we stop this relentless destruction of local history just to appease the money hungry developers...:-( pity the building could not be considered for English Heritage Status...

Related news & features

Friday 24 January 2014 10.18pm
What the Southwark News story didn't mention - but our report did - is that the plans include new accommodation for the Institute of Optometry, so we are not losing them from the area.

I agree it is a nice building though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 26 January 2014 7.58pm
Looking at the Southwark application, they've not yet put in a full application but are 'consulting'. It states they contacted English Heritage on January 9th but they've not yet included their response. It might be worth contacting English Heritage to find out what their view is? And have you had a chance to speak with anyone in the Institute- how they feel about it? It definitely merits a community campaign to save it.
Monday 27 January 2014 9.14am
Thank James, wonder where the Institute will have their eye clinics if the plan does go ahead?

Hetty, will go and have a look to see ..:-)
Monday 27 January 2014 11.26am
I am very sorry that the London School of Musical Theatre building in Borough Road also seems doomed as part of this development. It's a rather unusual castle-like building. I tried to get it listed a few years ago but English Heritage were rather dismissive - I think it was a bit too quirky for their taste.
Tuesday 28 January 2014 11.01pm
over 200 towers in planning from vauxhall to southwark:

http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org/news.php

40,50, 60 floors "the norm"
Wednesday 29 January 2014 12.43am
I spoke to someone at the Institute of Optometry today when I went for my check-up. They said they were told they will be relocating to the area which will be built where the car hire (Car Point) is now. Good news but a shame the lovely old building will be going. I'm also disappointed that the castle looking building on Borough Road will be going too - it has such character. I remember it was a Barclays Bank many moons ago.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 11.03am
Julia7239 wrote:
over 200 towers in planning from vauxhall to southwark:
http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org/news.php

It doesn't appear correct to interpret that article suggesting all are in that zone. The article states: There are over 200 towers, each more than 20 storeys, currently planned in London, around 150 of them new residential blocks....

English Heritage are concerned that it could result in a wall of development stretching from Vauxhall through to Southwark

Either way, not an attractive proposition!
Wednesday 29 January 2014 7.46pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Why cant we stop this relentless destruction of local history just to appease the money hungry developers.

Peabody are not 'a money hungry developer'. They are in fact one of the oldest, not for profit, providers of properly designed, built and managed social and affordable housing for rent in London. They have been doing this since 1862 and unlike councils they buid homes to last a little longer than the likes of the Heygate have.

No doubt some of the new homes being built will be for sale in whole or as shared ownership, but only enough to pay for the rest of the development and enough to allow Peabody to do what they have been doing to an excelelent standard for over 150 years.
Thursday 30 January 2014 12.48pm
Yes sorry - I when I re-read the article after posting I realised my post made it appear that 200 were just in Southwark. Still a huge concentration never the less. This wiki entry is interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_London
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: