Application to vote by post from the Lib Dems

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 28 January 2014 12.20am
I have just received an application form to vote by post from the Lib Dems which I am asked to fill in and send back to them for them to send on the the Electoral Commissioner.

I did not request such a thing. I actually live in the address it is addressed to which clearly they don't expect. I am asked to supply my REAL address. Which I can't, it's the same as the one they sent it to. I can barely afford one address, no chance of two.

Why would I send an application for a postal vote, assuming I even wanted one, to them and not direct to the electoral commissioner? Are they trying to copy some bad Labour precedents?

I vote for Simon Hughes as the best of what is on offer here, I think he is probably a good bloke from what I have seen though I have become more doubtful lately owing to the descent of the Lib Dems generally rather than anything I know about him. He was vaguely helpful many years ago when I had a problem and I respect that.

I am not interested in supporting the party for sexual harassment any more than I am the Nasty Party or the Blair's world war whilst giving everyone one else on the planet huge benefits to live in fab London places I can't afford at my tax expense party.

Why am I being sent a postal vote application form I never asked for and why am I being asked to send it to Sarah Lundford MEP rather than the Electoral registration officer direct?

What gives?
Tuesday 28 January 2014 8.00am
Simon always used to get our vote and prob still will. However, given previous issues with postal voting - think Tower Hamlets - shouldn't the Electoral Commission be sending them direct and, as you say Davies, if for no other reason than voting integrity they send them only to people who have first asked for them.
Tuesday 28 January 2014 12.16pm
Postal Vote turnout is about 80% - ballot box election day voting is about 30% at locals, rising to 60% at general elections.

If you are a Lib-Dem supporter, we want to encourage you to vote.
You are more likely to vote if you have a postal vote, hence the PV form.

The form is a standard Electoral Commission form.

We've asked for it to be returned to us, so we can check for errors before we take it to Southwark Council's Electoral Services office.

The law says it's only valid if it's submitted within three days of you signing it. (I think)

Even if you have a postal vote, you can still take your postal vote to the polling station on election day if you want.

So, if you apply for a postal vote, it saves us both time. It also increases the chances of you voting, in case you are sick, working or on holiday. It also increases the chances of your local team and Simon getting elected.

Graham Neale
Tuesday 28 January 2014 12.23pm
The Sarah Lundford press release was, imho, awful.

Very little was explained (and the postal voting thing was so conspicuously unexplained that my initial thought was that it was something underhand).

As for the "Sign this if you like puppies and hate horrible things" box on the back...what on earth are they trying to achieve with that?

The effect of that mailshot on me was to reduce the chance of me voting Lib Dem (a party I've been sympathetic to in the past, especially given that they appear to be quite active and relatively effective in SE1), and to make me mildly annoyed for a passing moment.

I'm now less likely (by a large factor) to vote for this person than I was before we got the letter. I'm sure that wasn't the intention.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 28 January 2014 12.56pm
Indeed, that was not the intention.
Tuesday 28 January 2014 1.44pm
Graham wrote: we can check for errors before we take it to Southwark Council's Electoral Services office.

Isn't the Lib Dem party thereby usurping the role of the council's electoral services office?

Should official documentation like this not come direct from the official source, i.e. the 'electoral services office'?
Tuesday 28 January 2014 1.50pm
Graham wrote:
Postal Vote turnout is about 80% - ballot box election day voting is about 30% at locals, rising to 60% at general elections.

I know that some people can't get to a polling station for medical reasons and I've sometimes been away on business myself on polling day, but are the views of someone who's vote means so little to them that they can't be bothered with walking a few hundred yards to the polling station at some point between 7am and 9pm really worth worrying about?
Tuesday 28 January 2014 2.24pm
"The paradox of voting, also called Downs paradox, is that for a rational, self-interested voter, the costs of voting will normally exceed the expected benefits..."
But don't let that put you off, people died for the opportunity to vote!
Tuesday 28 January 2014 4.49pm
True, which makes it all the more of a shame that all of the main 3 parties are virtually identical. Would we even notice the difference if candidate x or y got in....
The only sane thing in future is to protest vote or vote independent. Eventually it could reach sufficient numbers to invalidate the system.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 10.59am
It makes absolute sense for political parties to encourage their supporters (I dont know whether this went to everyone or was targeted at people who previously indicated they were sympathetic to the Lib Dems) to sign up for postal votes. It will boost turnout amongst their supporters and improve their results.

And if their efforts supplement those of the council's electoral services department (which I can only presume has had its budget slashed) then so much the better.

The code of conduct says it is preferable (though clearly not mandatory) for parties to have applications returned direct to the ERO and I'm not convinced about the rationale given here for not following that preference.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: