Disposal of old pc - Help!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 28 January 2014 3.01pm
Hi, Having attempted (and failed) three times to get Southwark council to remove an old pc and monitor via their bulk collection service, can anyone advise where and how I should dispose of it? I live in the borough area, and I don't have access to a car, hence I cant take it to the main council dump. All/any suggestions greatly appreciated (and yes - I have already removed and destroyed the hard drive!)
Tuesday 28 January 2014 5.18pm
Might be worth trying Southwark Freecycle -- someone may have a use for it and be able to collect it from you?

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/southwark-freecycle/posts/all
Tuesday 28 January 2014 7.23pm
Are there any local estates that have the large paladins? Dump it in one of those after dark!!
Tuesday 28 January 2014 11.10pm
Over the years I have had two that got to be past their sell-by date, and became uneconomic to repair.
I removed the hard drives, destroyed them, then put the PCs in the trash can and they were removed by the council garbage truck.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 12.55pm
Garbage truck? Trash can?
You've been spending too much time in the U.S. Tom, probably with the aid of all the fares stuffed in your mattress from your time driving a black cab!
On a serious note, perhaps Otter's PCs were too large for the dustbin.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 1.24pm
Debrajoan wrote:

On a less flippant note, Computers and monitors contain toxic levels of mercury, lead, cadmium, arsenic, and beryllium which are very unfriendly substances to the environment, once they end up in landfill in this country or wherever we export our 'trash' to these days. Unfortunately, our council's web site isn't very informative on the subject of disposing of redundant IT stuff, only how to donate it if it's still in working order.

However, there is the option of contacting the City of London hazardous waste collection here. They collect from Southwark.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 1.36pm
spartacus wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:

However, there is the option of contacting the City of London hazardous waste collection here. They collect from Southwark.

Unfortunately, City of London says, quote:
'Items we do not collect:
Electrical waste e.g. computers, TVs...'
Wednesday 29 January 2014 2.44pm
Lots of helpful suggestions....but sadly no answer - as stated above, the toxicity of the material means I cannot put it in the bin. Southwark's own bulk collection "dont have access to my bin store" (despite their normal refuse collection accessing it every week to collect general waste and recycling) - their suggestion was to leave it on the pavement outside my block on the nominated day - but where I live, the pavement is so narrow, it would be a serious hazard. I cant help feeling there must be a solution...I am just stumped on this one!
Wednesday 29 January 2014 5.24pm
Call a minicab and take it to the recycling centre on OKR they have section for old electronics and computers.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 6.01pm
John C wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:

Unfortunately, City of London says, quote:
'Items we do not collect:
Electrical waste e.g. computers, TVs...'

My mistake. There should be an easy, responsible way for residents to dispose of dead IT equipment, other than hiding it in a bin!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: