Tanner St Park - Boot camp grass damage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 1 February 2014 10.12am
Whilst I am all for people keeping fit and healthy, the regular boot camp that takes place in Tanner St Park is destroying the grass and has turned one of the area's few green spaces into a bare patch of mud. Do people really need to work out on the grass when it is so wet? There is a large expanse on tarmac in the corner of the park behind the tennis courts, wouldn't this be a more suitable location and protect the grass for all to enjoy.
Saturday 1 February 2014 10.29am
Good point,I find their use of the park quite anti-social in the summer months,an area that accommodates a vast amount of people socializing,gets taking over by a group of 10 people.

Saint Mary Magdalen Churchyard and the green area off Druid street behind the City Mission are huge in comparison,but rarely get used for Boot camp training.

I always felt there was an element of look at us,at least they don't litter
Saturday 1 February 2014 1.40pm
Hi Scott77

Thoroughly agree with you, I pass that area every day and have watched as the turf has been slowly churned up and turned to mud. Boot camps seem to be taking place there at least 5 times a week.

By summer it will be bare earth and the Tanner street gardens are such a draw for local residents to sunbath and picnic, it will be such a shame.

Nigel is right the area behind the City Mission would be much better and it has a large paved area on which training would be much more suited.

I think Southwark Council should be informed.
Zoe
Saturday 1 February 2014 6.51pm
I never want to criticise people exercising but I totally agree with this. I also find the shouting a bit much and rather disturbing (though understand why people need someone to shout to get them moving, I could do with someone doing that to get me out of bed).
Saturday 1 February 2014 7.38pm
I would sign the petition!
Saturday 1 February 2014 9.06pm
Southwark parks byelaws forbid providing services in parks that make money without their consent, and loud/continuous shouting ...

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/158/anti-social_behaviour
Sunday 2 February 2014 9.48am
Zoe: I agree with the noise issue too. There is a lot of shouting going on from 6.45am and it can be quite disturbing!

Colinio: Interesting point that it is against the Council by-laws that's the green spaces cannot be used to earn money from activities (without prior consent). The boot camps are advertised on-line, so that should be a definite No No where Southwark council are concerned unless consent has been granted. Which I doubt.

www.swfitnessgroup.co.uk
Sunday 2 February 2014 10.01am
In order to (legally) run exercise classes or work as a personal trainer in Southwark, fitness professionals have to obtain a licence. If these guys are causing a nuisance, let Southwark know: Max Nakrani, Service Development Officer, Southwark Council, Parks and Open Spaces, 160 Tooley Street, London SE1 2TZ
Sunday 2 February 2014 12.18pm
Hi Everyone,Sam Warrington here, I run SW Fitness Group.

Firstly, thanks for raising the issues above, we never set out to annoy or upset anyone. We hope the local residents benefit from the different services we offer I honestly feel we bring something good to the community.

I will look into the concrete areas tomorrow, if their is a better place to train, we can move straight away, even to a different park.

I will also make sure the trainers aren't shouting or being too loud I understand houses are close by, so sorry for this if it has effected you so far.

Re license, we have licenses throughout London, and are happy to contribute to the local green spaces, we want to add to London, not take anything away or damage anything.

I have taken all your points on board and from tomorrow they will be implemented.

Best,
Sam
Sunday 2 February 2014 7.13pm
Hi Sam

Thank you for your post.

The area used in Tanner Street park has been seriously affected by your boot camps and your willingness to look at other locations is a responsible and civic minded response.

I think the area best suited would be that next to the City Mission on Tower Bridge Road, minimal housing and an extensive paved, gravelled area.

The tarmac area within the Tanner Street park is very close to residents of both Archie st and Bell Yard Mew a large number of which face directly onto it. The booming voices of your instructor during the 6.45am classes would be somewhat disturbing.

Good luck in finding a suitable place for your boot camps.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: