Billboards on the flyover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Thursday 6 February 2014 10.44pm
Mr Stephens added: "The proposed structure will create a unique landmark building that will enliven the street scene and provide a building that creates visual interest and an innovative entrance marker to the city." They just spew out this stuff don't they. How did a billboard suddenly become a building? 'Entrance marker to the City'; hilarious.
Thursday 6 February 2014 11.23pm
It is difficult to think of something to make Bricklayer's less appealing than it is but this plan is probably it. I can only hope that a Labour council, yes a Labour council, can kick this type of dreadful corporatism into touch.

In the long term the Bricklayer's flyover needs to be removed. In the short term its appearance could be improved by growing plants and flowers. In my opinion, there is absolutely no benefit to the community in erecting huge advertising boards.
Friday 7 February 2014 9.18am
There is some hilarious guff in the planning applications.

"It is considered that the proposal would appear as an inspiring modern addition to the townscape that will not harm visual amenity but instead enhance local character. It is anticipated that the clean lines of the structure will quickly become part of the landscape and valued as an interesting and attractive urban form."
TAK
Friday 7 February 2014 5.39pm
LeaC wrote:
There is some hilarious guff in the planning applications.
"It is considered that the proposal would appear as an inspiring modern addition to the townscape that will not harm visual amenity but instead enhance local character. It is anticipated that the clean lines of the structure will quickly become part of the landscape and valued as an interesting and attractive urban form."

Ridiculous in my humble opinion this is just more unnecessary clutter and only makes the situation worse and not better.
Of course, the council's bank account would be much better off, but I guess the main 'winner' in this case would be the advertisement company reaping it in at the expense of all passers by having to endure this billboard....
Friday 7 February 2014 7.24pm
It will create a "unique landmark" and an "inspiring modern addition to the townscape" once a few bricks have been lobbed at it on a Saturday night.
Sunday 9 February 2014 10.34am
Hideous.
It seems the itention of such siting is to distract drivers whilst they are held up at the roundabout but it will also be a distraction whilst they try to negotiate a difficult junction.
What city is it that these billboards will enhance the entrance to? Nonsense.
I believe that this is a done deal, done behind closed doors. Now we go through the sham of consultation.
Consultation closes 26/02/2014 but the target date for a decision is the 24th so get your objections in early.

If you live in the area then I suggest you get your local councillor to call it in and that way your elected representatives get to make the decision not some backroom anonymous unelected employee.
Monday 10 February 2014 11.18am
A quite ridiculous idea. It's not the best looking area, but this is even worse.
Monday 10 February 2014 11.20am
Bunhouse, do you know the planning application number? If so could you post it here, I suspect a few people would like to object to this proposal.
Monday 10 February 2014 11.25am
Karen - direct links to the three applications are provided at the bottom of the related news story.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
emu
Monday 17 February 2014 10.42pm
does anyone know what the process is to make our replies as strong as possible. I want to object (Im outraged!) However I am new to SE1 and how the council works. I dont want to spend time crafting a beautiful letter about how it will affect the aesthetics etc if they only allow objections on specific points eg health and safety.

any guidance as to what would be a valid objection in the council's eyes greatly appreciated!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: