What more Supermarkets?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 9 February 2014 5.26pm
I live in Pocock Street and I can't believe how many supermakets there are in a one mile radius. What is worse they are mostly run by Tesco and Sainsurys. What is Southwark Council doing to allow so many which is restricting my choice. At least there is a Co-op down Southwark Bridge Road. Can the council please stop any extra Tesco or Sainsburys? Or can we at least have a Waitrose or Morrisons, if there is to be more of these stores?
Sunday 9 February 2014 5.35pm
I still prefer Charlie's (Express Supersave). I can get my cocktail gherkins, spam and piccalilli in there, along with just one stamp if I need it and some lovely incense too.
Strange tastes I have :-)
Sunday 9 February 2014 7.56pm
Not intending to troll, but some of the older discussions here on the forum are quite fun to read now. We were mostly moaning about the lack of any supermarkets in our area then :D Of course Waitrose has been a recurring theme in the discussions. Loads of threads like this if you do a search:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/3565/page=1

(but yes, it has gone mad with the two chains)
Sunday 9 February 2014 8.40pm
I agree Mattmatt73. At least SBR C0-0p they appear ( I know I am going to be corrected on this) to have a bit more soul and appreciation of their regular customers. The staff and managers are in my experience helpful; and have even got products in for me. I know they are a chain like the others - and have a lot of bad press - but handsome is as handsome does.

There is plenty a fine rant on here about the local Tescos( awful over charging and staff) and Sainsburys (awful overcharging , managers, most staff nice)

Has anyone been to the farmers market on BHS on Tues am ( nr John Harvard) I only just saw the sign today!
Sunday 9 February 2014 9.14pm
Kory wrote:
Has anyone been to the farmers market on BHS on Tues am ( nr John Harvard) I only just saw the sign today!
The market is in the Memorial Park at Guy's - the banner is on Borough High Street because King's College owns that row of buildings.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 9 February 2014 9.35pm
Thanks James- I will check it out... very helpful as ever
Sunday 9 February 2014 9.37pm
Kory wrote:
I have been to the market is in the Memorial Park - it's nothing special. It sells lot of hot food aimed at workers etc. and what produce they sell is overpriced, so a real market in that sense it is not.
Sunday 9 February 2014 11.26pm
oh dear edwardwoodward ...that's a shame
Zoe
Monday 10 February 2014 8.15am
We'll soon have the farmers market on lower marsh, from the 1st March. Agree about the market at Guys, it's mainly cooked food, though there is a bread stall.

I think the moaning about supermarkets was wanting something quite large. What we have got are carbon copies selling all the same range, taking up shop fronts that could be used for something better. If the sainsburys in the area decided to be adventurous and have one only selling non convenience food, ie ingredients not food, we'd be very happy and feel we could buy actual food here. I needed cinnamon and icing and you'd think the numerous suoermarkets would make it easy, but no, I couldn't get them anywhere and instead cycled to Tesco's at Tooley Street. I think it would have been easier to just take my car to old kent road (I could have cycled to old kent road of course, but it was raining and windy).
Monday 10 February 2014 9.01am
My nearest supermarkets are BHS and GSS Sainsbury's/Tesco's and then M&S on Southwark Street. I bake my own bread, we regularly bake cakes and we like to cook well, so often need "special" ingredients - out of the above, M&S is stocked best, especially re baking ingredients. Of course you pay more than in a large Tesco or Sainsbury's though. but the other 2 are rubbish (I naively hoped the new Sainsbury's might be any better). I have now given up on the idea that we'll ever get a decent, big supermarket anywhere nearer than what we currently have. "Oh well" he sighs, shoving another slice of homemade sourdough walnut bread into his gob...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: