What more Supermarkets?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 10 February 2014 9.40am
Zoe you are right about a saturday market starting on the Lower Marsh on the first of March but I'm not sure one could call it a farmers' market.
Whilst you are there I would suggest that you visit Springfields the mini-market (bright yellow frontage next door to Betfreds) there you will find some rather exotic and non exotic ingedients certainly icing sugar and cinnamon. and the added bonus of supporting a local independent business with delightful and very helpful and always cheerful staff.

Edward. Nobody ever mentions M&S on Southwak Street, I have been told that it is good but I have not got round to visiting it yet only because it's not yet stored in my shopping memory bank.

If anybody has tried that M&S perhaps they could give us their verdict.
Monday 10 February 2014 9.47am
Sorry Edward, I've just reread your post and realised you had done exactly as I requested. I obviously missed the "Southwark Street" in bright blue letters. Silly me, I think I'll go back to bed and pretend today hasn't started yet.
Monday 10 February 2014 10.20am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Sorry Edward, I've just reread your post and realised you had done exactly as I requested. I obviously missed the "Southwark Street" in bright blue letters. Silly me, I think I'll go back to bed and pretend today hasn't started yet.

I use M&S Southwark Street mainly for milk, eggs etc. when I need something on short notice. They are OK, the staff are friendly, but the the shop seems to suffer from that same issue as other supermarkets where you are charged the full price for items marked as discounted. They are quite good on returning the difference, but I have pointed it out so many times to them and still it happens that you can't help thinking it's done on purpose. Apart from that, as I mentioned, they have a great range of cooking/baking ingredients.
Monday 10 February 2014 10.24am
There's a Co-op opening at the end of Lower Marsh in the spring. If it is taking over the whole lower ground it looks like it might be quite large. However, it could be as bad as the one off Great Suffolk Street which is very uninspiring.
Poj
Monday 10 February 2014 10.28am
I agree. I have used Charlie's for many years now. Will not change. Also agree, if we MUST have a new supermarket make it Waitrose. Any other way to stop Tesco/ Sainsburys popping up is not to use them. If enough people do not, they will not open.... and.... we still have to wait for yet another tesco opposite Southwark station - another I will not use
Monday 10 February 2014 11.18am
I'm not clear why we need a Waitrose, as opposed to a Sainsbury or Tesco. There's nothing wrong with any of these stores; it's a matter of taste. It's the size that is prohibitive. Any supermarket in this area is likely to be small, and likely to cater to passing trade - even Waitrose. I suppose what we need to do, is campaign for a large supermarket (any supermarket) when they start to develop Blackfriars Road.
Monday 10 February 2014 12.10pm
I'd like to put a word in for St James Supermarket on SPR, fresh fruit and veg, far better selection than the dreadful Tesco Metro opposite. A butcher and also lovely fresh bread, plus they smile at you and are actually happy that you're shopping there. Also they have the largest selection of honey I have ever seen.
Monday 10 February 2014 2.23pm
I'll swap anyone a crappy Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local for the Superway Food Mart at 157-163 Old Kent Road, SE1. Anything but super - mostly empty shelves, bread with a sell by date of 2 days ago, no milk the last time I was in and the most miserable staff you've ever encountered.

And it's right outside one of the busiest bus stops in the area. It could be a hugely profitable business if someone was prepared to make an effort.
Monday 10 February 2014 3.00pm
southwarkSimon wrote:
I'd like to put a word in for St James Supermarket on SPR, fresh fruit and veg, far better selection than the dreadful Tesco Metro opposite. A butcher and also lovely fresh bread, plus they smile at you and are actually happy that you're shopping there. Also they have the largest selection of honey I have ever seen.

I concur with southwarkSimon about St James Supermarket - good fresh fruit & veg, plus a whole range of other goods. Go there regularly and mostly the staff are very helpful & friendly. Definitely preferable to the Tesco Metro over the road in SPR
Monday 10 February 2014 4.53pm
Interesting read on the BBC website on this issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25762466

The rise, fall and rise of the mini-supermarket

I wonder how much the size of the stores we are getting is dictated by the Sunday opening, as they have to be under 3,000 sq ft (280 sq m)?

But apparently our shopping patterns have changed too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network