One Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 February 2014 10.16am
I really hate the shape of this building, but that's just my personal taste. However, one thing I have noticed is the similarity with the Bridgewater Place building in Leeds that is now having to undergo modification because it creates such a wind tunnel. A van was blown over, and a woman was hospitalised after being blown over near the building. (Not allowed to post third-party pictures, but there's plenty on the internet.) I wonder if the planners have considered the impact such a tall building on an already windy corner will have on the area.
Tuesday 11 February 2014 1.24am
I'm a fan of the building so reluctant to admit it ... but it's always very, very blustery around the base of the new AHMM at 240 Blackfriars Rd. It's not as tall as a lot of the new super tall buildings coming to the area but it is effectively a big slab. It would be interesting to see wind modelling in relation to 240 Blackfriars and 1 Blackfriars ... and the five (plus) other new skyscrapers all being clustered at that corner. Crossing that corner on a bike is already a challenge, you only ever seem to be battling a headwind too, never a tailwind sadly!
Tuesday 11 February 2014 2.06am
An unusual new building doing odd things to the wind was as I recall a fear locally during the early planning stages of the Shard. Can't say I've noticed an impact but wonder whether any measuring has been done now it's up.
Tuesday 11 February 2014 8.24am
Boroman wrote:
An unusual new building doing odd things to the wind was as I recall a fear locally during the early planning stages of the Shard. Can't say I've noticed an impact but wonder whether any measuring has been done now it's up.

Funnily enough there was always a strong wind when going down the stairs to the left of the old London Bridge concourse, going towards Guys. I haven't used that route in a while but I seem to remember the last time I went down the new escalators there was far less of a draft.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 6.02pm
Marketing film: http://vimeo.com/86948765

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 6.31pm
'In everyone's life there might be just one moment'. Of what exactly?

Drivel.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 7.01pm
You know, that moment where you realise you can afford to spend 950 grand on a studio flat by the Thames.
Tuesday 18 February 2014 10.37pm
Karen I wrote:
I really hate the shape of this building, but that's just my personal taste. However, one thing I have noticed is the similarity with the Bridgewater Place building in Leeds that is now having to undergo modification because it creates such a wind tunnel. A van was blown over, and a woman was hospitalised after being blown over near the building. (Not allowed to post third-party pictures, but there's plenty on the internet.) I wonder if the planners have considered the impact such a tall building on an already windy corner will have on the area.

You may want to start with the EIS Non-Technical Summary, Chapter 12 Wind (Microclimate), starts on page 150. Here's the link. http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/230652_1.pdf
Tuesday 18 February 2014 11.25pm
Thanks Head of DM. Looked, but the results meant nothing to me. I think my concerns are really about the effect one building has on another. With all the planned tall buildings in that area, surely one must have an effect on the other, so measurements and interpretations done at the planning stage may be okay, but the result may change when another building goes up.
Wednesday 19 February 2014 8.55pm
Karen I wrote:
Thanks Head of DM. Looked, but the results meant nothing to me. I think my concerns are really about the effect one building has on another. With all the planned tall buildings in that area, surely one must have an effect on the other, so measurements and interpretations done at the planning stage may be okay, but the result may change when another building goes up.

My pleasure. In answer to your question, wind modeling includes the baseline (existing built form) plus any planning permissions that are implemented (made a start however small) or capable of being built. This gives proper consideration of the impacts of tall building on the environment. New proposals have to take account of built form and planning permissions in the same way. The result is you have a reliable model even in an emerging or changing urban landscape like Blackfriars Road and Bankside.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: