Uprooted tree on Neckinger

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 17 February 2014 9.48am
There is an enormous tree which has become uprooted some time betwen Thursday night and Saturday night. It's hard to tell whether this was done intentionally - it seems unlikely that the wind, as strong as it was, could've done this but it looks like it's damaged a building on the way down.

Anyone know?
Monday 17 February 2014 2.21pm
It was Friday night sometime between 9pm and 1am- it was really gusty. In addition to ripping off the awning from the hairdressers, it made a good job of reaaranging the furniture on my balcony.

The tree must have made a mighty crash when it landed. It was the biggest tree on the street. Some workmen (tree surgeons) came the next morning to chop up the trunk, I guess to remove the obstruction across the entrance to the hairdressers. I don't suppose many people have wood fires in London but there's plenty of firewood there to be picked up.

I'm not aware of anyone being hurt from the tree fall.
Monday 17 February 2014 2.28pm
It looks like the tree hit the awning on the hairdressers on its way down to me. Lucky more damage wasn't done really - that tree is absolutely huge!

We said the same about firewood yesterday.
Thursday 20 February 2014 12.36am
Serendipitously, four new trees were planted on Neckinger today.
I know it was a freak coincidence, and it will take a century for these little twigs to make the grade of the sadly lost London Plane which was spectacular (and even if none of our charming local youths smash the saplings up) but at least they were planted, and may they live long and prosper!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: