Llewellyn Alexander Fine Paintings 124 The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 21 February 2014 1.22pm

Does anyone know if The Cut is going to lose Llewellyn Fine Art if the proposed planning permission for the eight storey building goes ahead?

I enjoy the changing display of paintings when I walk past and would be sad to see it go.

Related news & features

Friday 21 February 2014 1.46pm
Oh. Have I missed this one; what is the proposal and has it gone to planning? Would be grateful for any web links.

I'm sure the art gallery would move up to Lower Marsh to join the other ones - that's if the rent isn't too much.
Friday 21 February 2014 2.24pm
Sorry Karen

Did not take note of the planning number. I just read the details from planning poster on lampost outside.

Think it mentioned eight storey building with basement, retail on ground floor and residential properties above.
Friday 21 February 2014 2.58pm
Thanks Robert. I'll look on the web-site; I'm assuming it's Lambeth and probably why I hadn't noticed.
Friday 21 February 2014 4.50pm
Hi Robert, I've looked at the elevation drawings and it looks like the art gallery will still be on the ground floor when the building is complete. I have to say Lambeth planning pages are not as clear as Southwark planning pages and I was not able to see if anyone had objected to the plan. I'm not too happy with an 8 storey building right opposite the Old Vic, that makes no attempt to blend in. In my opinion, anything built there should not distract from the Old Vic, not should it be taller than the rest of the street.
Friday 21 February 2014 7.04pm
The owner of Llewellyn Alexander has designed the new building himself - he is a retired architect.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 7 March 2014 12.35pm
Lambeth has refused the planning application

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 7 March 2014 11.35pm
That's good. I did write to Lambeth about the proposals and suggested that it might be a good idea to consult with residents along The Cut even though parts are in Southwark. Lambeth don't seem to consult anywhere near as openly and widely as Southwark Council.
Friday 7 March 2014 11.39pm
Wonder if I'll ever hear Southwark Planning Department saying this: '.... turned down the planning application on that grounds that the "height, massing, bulk, scale and design of the development fails to respond to the local context of the site, resulting in an incongruous building which would be out of keeping with The Cut street scene".
Saturday 8 March 2014 9.35am
An 8 storey tower on that small site was always going to be a no-no and I now expect to see the modified ( but originally intended) plans submitted and accepted by the council, maybe even just nodded through.

No higher than the adjacent social housing thus maintaing the average height of buildings on the street would, in my opinion, be acceptable.

I wonder if Lambeth will apply the same criteria to the redevelopement of the bookshop site on the corner of Waterloo Road and Baylis Road. I suspect not especially if they follow Southwark's thinking of Waterloo Road being a gateway to the two cities.

Having bought two paintings from Llewellyn Alexander's gallery over the years I would hate to see it go anywhere else. It is the classiest shop on the street and adds more than most others in uplifting the character of The Cut.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: