ANOTHER Tesco?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
jw
Saturday 22 February 2014 3.39pm
Sorry if this is old news but just found out the Bangalore Express on Waterloo Road is to become a Tesco - which will be round the corner from the new one on Bayliss Road, down the road from the one on The Cut and just a short stroll from the ones on Borough Road and Great Suffolk Street.

Not to mention all the Sainsburys.

Is there no way of stopping this before SE1 turns into one giant rather useless mini supermarket?
Saturday 22 February 2014 4.35pm
Oh my days, how many more do we need
Saturday 22 February 2014 8.57pm
Speechless.
Saturday 22 February 2014 9.30pm
Agreed! It is supermarket madness. Surely they have to have council approval. Do they not think we have reached saturation point.
Zoe
Saturday 22 February 2014 9.34pm
It's because sainsburys opened next to the tesco on great Suffolk street, they want to get revenge.
Saturday 22 February 2014 10.07pm
Yes, I went into that Sainsbury today for the first time. Just made me want to cry. Another Sainsbury with a one skinny cabinet for fish and meat. And oddly, enough fruit drinks to float a barge.
Sunday 23 February 2014 1.17pm
ChloeB wrote:
Surely they have to have council approval.
The council (Lambeth) has no say in the matter - the change of use from restaurant to retail benefits from 'permitted development' rights in law so no planning application is required.

Though interestingly Lambeth has just brokered a legal agreement to stop a supermarket opening at the corner of Waterloo Road and Baylis Road when the Book Warehouse site is redeveloped.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 23 February 2014 1.40pm
It's simple. Don't use them and they will not be sustainable as a business and will soon disappear as quickly.

Instead, use and support local retailers.

The choice is yours.
Sunday 23 February 2014 2.13pm
Sadly Ishkiff,I don't think they are aimed at local residents.
Sunday 23 February 2014 2.15pm
For me, to go to a local shop means putting in a little bit of effort, as M&S, GSS Tesco and Sainsbury's are my nearest shops. Not a problem, I don't mind combining a shop with a walk, apart from this morning, where my slightly hungover body demanded a full English, so I went to GSS Tesco's, purely because it's cheaper. Big mistake: only 2 boxes of eggs left, of which one containing at least one broken egg. The shop overall seemed so dirty that I brought everything back and went to the Sainsbury's across the road. More expensive, but at least the shop is clean and more inviting than their competitor. Even if they managed to edge Tesco out, I doubt a local retailer would take its place unfortunately. ...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: