Tower block next to Tate Modern (185 Park Street)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 24 February 2014 9.52am
So here comes yet another massive block to spoil the riverbank! There is, of course, only one reason that there are suddenly so many applications to build enormous buildings - profits. Developers see their bank accounts swelling and that's all they think about. It is a pity and it should be resisted by residents and people who care about the urban environment in which so many live.
Monday 24 February 2014 10.25am
According to the logic of the market Bankside and its environs should only be for profit.
Thursday 6 March 2014 5.53pm
Why should we resist improving our environment. These new building are more energy efficient, look nicer and will serve more people than the older type. I hope more grubby old buildings are replaced. Yes developers will make more money -but why is that a crime? The money will circulate into the economy.
Friday 7 March 2014 1.59pm
judging by the picture, the buildings there now are hideous relics of 70s and anything would be an improvement. we cannot preserve ugliness for the sake of it
Friday 7 March 2014 2.24pm
boroughpaul wrote:
judging by the picture, the buildings there now are hideous relics of 70s and anything would be an improvement. we cannot preserve ugliness for the sake of it
I do like old buildings, but the one in question here are quite hideous. The profit-driven property boom however is a concern however as it seems to be allowed to be as ruthless as it wants to be.
Friday 7 March 2014 2.51pm
I doubt anyone will mourn that particular loss though light for those in the London Corporation flats is going to be an issue; it's what comes with it that is the problem which will probably be the usual 'retail experiences' always so in tune with the needs of those local to it, after all we desperately need another coffee shop in the area.

Maybe we should start up a bet as to who of the usual crowd it will be, I reckon a mini Tesco's has to be at least a possibility judging by the way they seem to be breeding at the moment, though I admit it would be a bit of an odd spot. I reckon the Saab dealership site will be the next site of interest for developers.
Friday 7 March 2014 3.31pm
Tesco and Sainbury's surely - where one goes the other follows!
Friday 7 March 2014 7.01pm
jon9521 wrote:
Why should we resist improving our environment. These new building are more energy efficient, look nicer and will serve more people than the older type. I hope more grubby old buildings are replaced. Yes developers will make more money -but why is that a crime? The money will circulate into the economy.

I heard something interesting today, when average London rents go up by 1% it takes 150M out of the London economy.
Friday 7 March 2014 7.25pm
But isn't it all very appropriate for Bankside? Bear baiting was not done for aesthetic purposes, and they had grubby theatres like the Globe that were not allowed in the City and put on radical plays by some guy called Sha..., oh I forget.
Friday 7 March 2014 7.51pm
everywhere in the world waterside property is always in massive demand . there is no reason why London should be any different. however, bizarrely for decades we have neglected the riverside as it came to be dominated by squat ugly low-end office buildings . if we now see some high quality residential redevelopment in the area with all the amenities that go with it why complain?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: