Pubs in Area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 27 February 2014 10.47pm
What ever happened to the White Bear pub. I drove over Tower Bridge and traveled towards Old Kent Rd for first time in about 15 years. I'm now based in Newcastle but used to live on Abbey St when I was working on the Jubilee Line. Nice young Irish lad used to run the White Bear at a time. Is the Final Furlong still going strong? Is Brian still there?
Thursday 27 February 2014 11.53pm
White Bear's gone, Final Furlong's gone! And the Fleece is gone too for good measure. :-(
Friday 28 February 2014 8.01am
They're all gone. Most of the Old Kent Road pubs - The World, The Gin Palace, Green Man, Frog and Nightgown, to name a few - are all gone. The Final Furlong has been gone for about ten years. it was demolished and tthere is now a block of flats with some sort of restaurant at ground level.
Friday 28 February 2014 9.10am
Last I heard, Brian was running the Balls Bros bar in Tooley st.
Wednesday 5 March 2014 2.08pm
Hate to tell you but Final Furlong went about 15 years ago! We have lived across the road for 20 years and used to go to their Sunday night 'cowboy shoot outs' which were fun! It was demolished and left a hole in the ground (into which a car 'fell') for a few years before the Amisha building was built. The Red Cow (The Grange) went years ago and was derelict until developed about 6 years ago.
The 'Vic' is still alive and kicking on Pages Walk, Marigold on Bermondsey Street and of course The Grange on Grange Road (up for sale but as a 'community asset). All others gone as far as I know.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: